Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Greg Johnson <gr...@manchester.ac.uk> on 2007/01/29 22:05:38 UTC

Passing exceptions from server to client?

Hi folks,
   I've struggled through (being a bear of little brain) how to
enable extensions on both the client side (trivial) and the server
side (not so trivial if running a servlet but not in a container and
not running a webserver either - at least, it was trivial once I
discovered it, but I had a hard time with the documentation getting
to that point).

But I think I'm a bit stuck without outside help:

1.  Client and server are both enabledForExtensions
2.  server << throws new XmlRpcException(999,"My personal
emergency"); >>
3.  server side sees exception with exception.linkedException and
exception.printStackTrace include the "Caused by" stack.  Great!
4.  client side sees exception, but .linkedException is null and
exception.getMessage gives only the generic 'failed to invoke method..."

How can I pass my own exceptions back to the client, with or without
extensions?  I'd like to pass an exception code and string, as I
thought possible with the XmlRpcException constructors - have I
misunderstood something?

Many thanks for any help,
greg

PS if you could copy me directly as well as the list?  Where do
people find the best (searchable) archive of this list?  The apache
hosted one seems to be month by month, which makes checking for
previously answered questions a bit tedious.