Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by aaron ai <aa...@apache.org> on 2023/05/04 09:34:25 UTC

Question: CI Pipeline in Kafka GitHub Pull Requests & Github Actions Usage

Hey folks,

I hope this email finds you well. My name is Aaron Ai, and I'm a beginner
interested in the Kafka community. I am eager to contribute to Kafka's
development and be part of this amazing project.

However, I have noticed some confusion surrounding the CI pipeline in Kafka
GitHub pull requests. It appears that the builds often fail, and the
results are not very clear to analyse. How can I determine if a pull
request build is okay for now, given the current CI pipeline situation?
Furthermore, is it a good idea to use Github Action to help with some
static checks? If so, I would be more than happy to contribute. By the way,
is there any plan to migrate to Github Actions in the near future?

I eagerly await your response and appreciate any feedback you might have on
this matter. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best regards,
Aaron

Re: Question: CI Pipeline in Kafka GitHub Pull Requests & Github Actions Usage

Posted by aaron ai <aa...@apache.org>.
Dear David:

I greatly appreciate your welcome and the explanation that you offered
regarding the Jenkins system!

I will try to familiarize myself with the standards and contribution
process of the Kafka community, and look forward to making some
contributions in the coming days.

Best regards,
Aaron

Posted by David Arthur <da...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hello, Aaron and welcome to the project!

If you look towards the bottom of a Pull Request there will be a section
reporting the status of the Checks for the latest commit.
There is a "Details" link that takes you to the Jenkins job for that PR.

The default Jenkins view is the new UI (called Blue Ocean I think?). The
"Classic" Jenkins view is also available by clicking the button near the
top:

[image: image.png]

From the Classic view it's pretty straightforward to download the console

--