Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/18 14:37:35 UTC

Limited memory *only* in integration tests

Out of curiosity, Does anyone know why we are explicitly configuring
the memory for the "integration" tests [1], but not for the "unit" and
"live" tests?

Can we just remove that line?

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/blob/master/project/pom.xml#L519

Re: Limited memory *only* in integration tests

Posted by Jeremy Daggett <je...@gmail.com>.
Ignasi, have you by chance timed the differences on the tests? I can run
them here, but just wanted to see if you had any data first. It is great to
get a speed increase on just about anything! ;)

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> Just want to know if someone knows the reason for that configuration
> being there. There is no need to remove it at all. I just want to make
> sure that configuration is there for a reason, not just because "it
> was already there" :)

I suspect it might be one of those "reasons lost in the dawn of time".
Especially if things improve, even if only slightly, if it's removed,
I'd say let's submit a PR to get rid of it and see what happens.

After all, we can always get it back if necessary...

ap

Re: Limited memory *only* in integration tests

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.
I've changed the upload tests to upload smaller files. Following
Andrew's example, the test now will upload a file up between 1 and 32
Mb. Previously it was uploading much bigger files, but I think the
test has the same value with the new smaller size.

Regarding the memory thing, I was just asking if someone knows why
integration tests use a explicit memory configuration. One thing that
comes to my mind is that integration tests usually perform the
operations against the Transient in-memory providers, so perhaps it is
good to preconfigure the maximum memory to use, but that is only a
guess.

Just want to know if someone knows the reason for that configuration
being there. There is no need to remove it at all. I just want to make
sure that configuration is there for a reason, not just because "it
was already there" :) even more when unit and live tests don't use
that configuration.

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: Limited memory *only* in integration tests

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.