Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by "Gregorio, Nelson" <Ne...@sonda.com> on 2001/11/17 22:40:18 UTC

Turbine deployed into OpenVMS + CSWS (Tomcat)

Hi,

We have been tested turbine deployed on CSWS(Comapq secure web server for
Open VMS is based on apache + tomcat), put the performance is bad, really
bad, Tomcat process make many access to disk (I/O direct), Who is doing
that?? Tomcat, Turbine, velocity??, they are read class, file??,  someone
can give us any idea about this problem.

Thanks.

Re: Turbine deployed into OpenVMS + CSWS (Tomcat)

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
"Gregorio, Nelson" <Ne...@sonda.com> writes:

> We have been tested turbine deployed on CSWS(Comapq secure web server for
> Open VMS is based on apache + tomcat), put the performance is bad, really
> bad, Tomcat process make many access to disk (I/O direct), Who is doing
> that?? Tomcat, Turbine, velocity??, they are read class, file??,  someone
> can give us any idea about this problem.

Do you have Velocity caching turned on?

Re: Turbine deployed into OpenVMS + CSWS (Tomcat)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On 11/17/01 4:40 PM, "Gregorio, Nelson" <Ne...@sonda.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have been tested turbine deployed on CSWS(Comapq secure web server for
> Open VMS is based on apache + tomcat), put the performance is bad, really
> bad, Tomcat process make many access to disk (I/O direct), Who is doing
> that?? Tomcat, Turbine, velocity??, they are read class, file??,  someone
> can give us any idea about this problem.

There are many potential performance bottlenecks in 2.x which have been
removed in the 3.x code (3.x is several orders of magnitude faster) but I
have had reports of _very_ large sites scaling well using Turbine 2.x.

You're going to need a profiler to help find the answers for the 2.x code.
3.x will be a different world when it comes to performance. Tons of the
object creation costs have been removed, many of the extraneous processes
have been remove and 3.x will eventually use a very sophisticated caching
mechanism

> Thanks.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl