Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/14 10:00:43 UTC

InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Team,

Thanks to Erik de Bruin, we have a new badge installer that is written
completely in Flex!  Yet another very good patch, Erik!

This means that we dont have any binary dependencies in our utility
projects - InstallApacheFlex and InstallApacheFlexBadge.  I have added a
common flex library project that shares code, assets and styles between
these two projects.  Please feel free to make use of this common project
for any tools that we will be building in the future.

All three projects are available here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/utilities

The next steps are to sign the InstallApacheFlex app and host everything in
our release pages so that they can be downloaded off of the mirrors.

Nick, can you please suggest the best location on our website to place
these files?

Carol, can you please make final builds of the InstallApacheFlex.exe and
InstallApacheFlex.dmg and sign them for the release?

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks,
Om

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

> - Can we leave the debug code using 'service.php' in the badge? It
> would be a hassle to put it back in whenever we work on this project
> locally, and not having it results in a Sandbox error on my side (as
> there is not crossdomain.xml at people.apache.org). I can create a
> patch where this code will never run (or even be compiled, if you
> like) when doing a 'production' release.
>

> Sorry, I thought it was unncessary and removed it.  Its weird because I
never ran into such issues.
Please feel free to patch it in if you'd like to keep it.

Thanks,
Om

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 14, 2012 2:26 AM, "Erik de Bruin" <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> Om,
>
> Two requests/suggestions:
>
> - Can we move 'InternetUtil.as' from both the app and badge to the new
> (I like it!) 'Common' library? The one in the badge project is the
> most recent, so I suggest we move that to common and change the app
> accordingly.

Yes, please.  I took a quick look at what this would take.   It looks like
there is dependency on the ViewResourceConstants class.   We might want to
separate out the string literals used by InternetUtils class into the
common project as well.

While we are at it, we should move the MirrorURLUtil to the common project
as well.  The badge installer should also be able to resolve the preferred
mirror to load the InstallApacheFlex.exe and InstallApacheFlex.dmg files as
well.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Om,

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
I forgot to mention, the new badge installer is available here:
http://people.apache.org/~bigosmallm/installapacheflex/

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Carol,

I think this is the way we should go.  This should be distributed via the
DIST process.

-Nick

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Om and Erik (and anyone else working on this now),
>
> I'm a little confused by the status of InstallApacheFlex right now.
>
> I just checked in a couple of changes to InstallApacheFlex/build.xml so
> that it will build and I added a "release" target to build the source and
> release distros.  You might consider adding a README or RELEASE_NOTES file
> which, in my opinion, only needs to be a one or two line description of
> what it is but more is perfectly fine too.

Will do.

> I did not reorganize the branch structure since I'm not sure you want it
> done.  We need a tags directory.  With the current structure we'd need 3
> tags per release.

That is less than ideal.   Does this look better?

/flex/utilities/installer
/flex/utilities/installer/tags
/flex/utilities/installer/branches
/flex/utilities/installer/trunk
/flex/utilities/installer/trunk/InstallApacheFlex
/flex/utilities/installer/trunk/common
/flex/utilities/installer/trunk/InstallApacheFlexBadge
/flex/utilities/installer/whiteboard

> As far as names go I'd prefer ApacheFlexUtilitiesCommon was called common.
>  It is already in the flex/utilities so I don't think the longer name adds
> any value.  I'd also move InstallApacheFlex to something like install or
> installer and InstallApacheFlexBadge to installBadge or installerBadge but
> I can live with the current names.

I am fine with any name change you would like to propose.  I request that
you change the names of the Flex projects while you do it.  Flash Builder
is known to have issues when the project names dont match directory names
(it might be fixed now)

> I'm not planning to do anything else unless I hear otherwise.
>
> Carol

Thanks,
Om

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>wrote:

> >> ...perhaps
> >> its an idea
> >> to link the sources in the Apache SVN to the AS3Commons SVN using
> >> svn:external? That way the application will also benefit from any
> >> updates to the code
> >> without having to re-sync the sources....
> >
> > That's not possible, code that Apache projects release has to live in
> > apache.org repositories.
>
> Ok, thanks for the heads-up Bertrand, we'll scratch that option then ;)
>
> >> All as3commons projects are also deployed to our Maven repository:
> >>
> http://projects.yoolab.org/maven/content/repositories/releases/org/as3commons/
> >
> > Then Flex can probably just use those modules as dependencies?
>
> Yup, I believe that would be the easiest, the build script for the
> installApacheFlex
> application will just need to download the swc from the Maven repo.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roland

What about the option of bringing in the source tree into the project and
occasionally to a code sync manually?

Thanks,
Om

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Carol,

> As far as the as3commons source code goes we can do the same thing and
> [...]
>
> I can work on this later today or tomorrow.

I have attached a patch to FLEX-33152 that should help you along, save
you some time.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 8/16/12 5 :22AM, "Erik de Bruin" <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

>The crypto code I got from the as3corelib (Mike Chambers) at:
>
>https://github.com/mikechambers/as3corelib/blob/master/src/com/adobe/
>
>The license at the top (included below) seems to indicate we can use
>the source as long as the license is included.
>
>Please tell me if I was wrong to include the source in the project and
>how to set things right.
>
>EdB
>
><license>
>/*
>  Copyright (c) 2008, Adobe Systems Incorporated
>  All rights reserved.
>
>  Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>  modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
>  met:
>
>  * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
>    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>
>  * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>
>  * Neither the name of Adobe Systems Incorporated nor the names of its
>    contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
>    this software without specific prior written permission.
>
>  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS
>  IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
>TO,
>  THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
>  PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR
>  CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
>  EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
>  PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
>  PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
>  LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
>  NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
>  SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
>*/
></license>

If you look that license is no longer at the top.  I moved the copyright
to LICENSE and put the Apache header on the top of the file.  I added an
entry to the NOTICE file.  This code has a BSD license which is compatible
with Apache so we can include the code without an issues as long as we
handle the copyrights and notice correctly.

As far as the as3commons source code goes we can do the same thing and
include the code in our common directory and build the swc ourselves.
Alternatively we can download the swc as part of the build process as we
do currently for some of the other swcs.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Wow, now we're all confused. Let me try to summarise:

1) we can't have the as3commons/zip SWC as part of the project, as it
is a binary.
2) we can however checkout the as3commons/zip AS files and put those
in the project, since they have compatible licenses (right?) . This is
what we did with MD5Stream from as3corelib.
3) since the source will be part of the project, there is no need to
go to Maven or whatever from the build script. If the project
compiles, the build script will run fine.
4) ...
5) profit

;-)

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 1:34 AM, Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>wrote:

> > I'm sorry, my daily dose of caffeine clearly hasn't kicked in yet. How
> > would this work? If the swc is not part of the Flash builder project,
> > how would we be able to use it? How is this better than including the
> > actual source files, like we do for the crypto components?
>
> Maybe I misunderstood Bertrand's message wrong. If it is allowed to
> directly check out the code and make a build from that, then by all means,
> go for that ;)
>
> Roland

Now I am confused.  To be clear, we would have to copy the code from
as3commons and put it in the flex svn repo.  And we release the as3commons
source as part of the installapacheflex source release (of course with all
the attributions)

Are you saying something difference?

Om

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com> wrote:
> ...perhaps
> its an idea
> to link the sources in the Apache SVN to the AS3Commons SVN using
> svn:external? That way the application will also benefit from any
> updates to the code
> without having to re-sync the sources....

That's not possible, code that Apache projects release has to live in
apache.org repositories.

> All as3commons projects are also deployed to our Maven repository:
> http://projects.yoolab.org/maven/content/repositories/releases/org/as3commons/

Then Flex can probably just use those modules as dependencies?

-Bertrand

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.
> Thank you, Roland!
>
>> anything as3commons related can obviously be used by Apache Flex
>> without any problems. If you want to build from the sources, perhaps
>> its an idea
>> to link the sources in the Apache SVN to the AS3Commons SVN using
>> svn:external?
>
> I'm not sure how the move to Git will affect such links... For now I
> suggest we check out:
>
> http://as3-commons.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/as3-commons-zip/src/main/actionscript/
>
> and place it in our project. But I also suggest we wait until after
> the whole renaming/moving thing with the current SVN repo is done.
>
> Om?

I'm not a really big Git authority, but perhaps Git has a way of doing
something similar to svn:external
and link to an SVN repo? Anyone on the list know this perhaps?

Roland

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Thank you, Roland!

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.
On 16 August 2012 02:20, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2012, at 5:03 PM, Om wrote:

>>> be

>>> then
>>> could

>>> someone
>>>
>>> Is AS3 Commons a project? Where? Do they provide a download location or
>>> repository? Is it actively developed?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave
>>>

>>> The project website is here [1]
>>
>> In fact two of our committers - Christophe Herreman and Roland Zwaga are
>> part of the team that maintains this project [2]
>
> Then it should be easy to discuss if they want to contribute it here or have releases which Flex can consume perhaps from a Maven repository.

Hey guys/gals,

anything as3commons related can obviously be used by Apache Flex
without any problems. If you want to build from the sources, perhaps
its an idea
to link the sources in the Apache SVN to the AS3Commons SVN using
svn:external? That way the application will also benefit from any
updates to the code
without having to re-sync the sources.
All as3commons projects are also deployed to our Maven repository:
http://projects.yoolab.org/maven/content/repositories/releases/org/as3commons/

cheers,

Roland

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Aug 15, 2012, at 5:03 PM, Om wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 15, 2012, at 4:50 PM, Om wrote:

>> be

>> then
>> could

>>> Ah, got it.  Sounds good to me.  I will go ahead and do this unless
>> someone
>>> tells me this is not the right way to go about it.
>>
>> Is AS3 Commons a project? Where? Do they provide a download location or
>> repository? Is it actively developed?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>

>> The project website is here [1]
>
> In fact two of our committers - Christophe Herreman and Roland Zwaga are
> part of the team that maintains this project [2]

Then it should be easy to discuss if they want to contribute it here or have releases which Flex can consume perhaps from a Maven repository.

Cool.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Om <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Omar Gonzalez <omarg.developer@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Om <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Omar Gonzalez <
> > omarg.developer@gmail.com

> is
> has

> in

> the
> be

> > > Not sure what you mean by "just get the source".  Can you please
> > elaborate?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Om
> > >

> > Download the .AS files and commit them to the Apache Flex repository,
> then
> > add an ANT target that Jenkins uses to build AS3 Commons. Just a
> > suggestion, I thought this was the ideal way for Apache projects. I could
> > certainly be wrong.
> >
> > -omar
> >

> Ah, got it.  Sounds good to me.  I will go ahead and do this unless someone
> tells me this is not the right way to go about it.
>
> Thanks,
> Om

I'm not actually sure this is the correct way, I thought it was but I'm not
sure. I guess its more a question for the [MENTOR]s.

-omar

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

> Actually I fixed all the license issues but I just noticed there is still
> a non-asset binary in there.  as3commons-zip-1.0.0-alpha.1.swc has to go.
> I can look at that if someone else doesn't get to it first.

Awesome!  Thanks Carol.

AS3Commons is under Apache Software License 2.0.  How do we bring in source
for the project?

> I attempted to fix up the FB projects but someone's paths on their disk
> are in there so I couldn't test them.  At some point these should be made
> generic.  The source path to the styles file in common is currently
> hard-coded.
>
> Carol

I will take a look at this once you have finished the rearrangement.

Thanks,
Om

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
On 8/15/12 2 :42PM, "Carol Frampton" <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

>That looks nice to me with one modification suggestion earlier in another
>thread.  Bertrand and others suggested whiteboard live under flex rather
>than under every sub-project.
>
>After I checked in the package stuff I realized I forgot to add the rat
>check so I'm doing that now.  I found a few problematic files which I will
>report back with shortly.

I fixed all the issues identified by the RAT check except certificate.p12.
 That's a binary file and I don't think it can go in the source
distribution.

I'll leave that to Om and/or Erik to figure out.

Carol

Re: InstallApacheFlex - Where to host it?

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Carol, Om,

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Makes sense.  Less work for everyone involved :-)

Om

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Ah, ok, I misunderstood.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.