Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no> on 2009/02/17 17:12:52 UTC

Compilation failure: org.osgi.framework.Constants stuff

Hi,

I'm unable to build Sling at the moment (fresh checkout, clean install):
INFO] Compilation failure

/Users/vramdal/dev/sling-trunk/launchpad/base/src/main/java/org/apache/sling/launchpad/base/impl/Sling.java:[396,68]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable FRAMEWORK_STORAGE
location: interface org.osgi.framework.Constants

/Users/vramdal/dev/sling-trunk/launchpad/base/src/main/java/org/apache/sling/launchpad/base/impl/Sling.java:[397,72]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable FRAMEWORK_BEGINNING_STARTLEVEL
location: interface org.osgi.framework.Constants

I see Felix (Meschberger) has updated the dependency to (Apache) Felix
Framework 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT - maybe something has changed in
1.5.0-SNAPSHOT since then?

--
Vidar S. Ramdal <vi...@idium.no> - http://www.idium.no
Akersgata 16, N-0158 Oslo, Norway

Re: Compilation failure: org.osgi.framework.Constants stuff

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vidar,

Vidar Ramdal schrieb:
>> Vidar Ramdal schrieb:
>>> I'm unable to build Sling at the moment (fresh checkout, clean install):
>>> INFO] Compilation failure
>>> [...]
>>> I see Felix (Meschberger) has updated the dependency to (Apache) Felix
>>> Framework 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT - maybe something has changed in
>>> 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT since then?
>
>> What platform (OS, Java Version, Maven Version) are you using in this
>> failed build ?
>
> OS X 10.5.6, Java 1.6 (also tried 1.5, same result), Maven 2.0.7
>
> I looked into the .jars downloaded by Maven (both
> org.apache.felix.framework-1.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar and
> org.apache.felix.framework-1.5.0-20090217.191803-5.jar), and they both
> include the two missing constants in org.osgi.framework.Constants.
>
> Can we exclude the OSGi Core jar from the launchpad/base build?

No, this is not an option, since the framework jar does not contain the
complete OSGi core library, just the stuff, which is extended/overwritten.

I would assume that this problem is a consequence of Maven's age old
issue of not guaranteeing the order of the dependencies for the class
path. As Carsten tells me Maven 2.0.9 contains some ordering fixes while
Maven 2.0.10 which has just been releaed is more complete in this respect.

Also, since Carsten and others using OSX (I am running Linux) with Maven
2.0.9 never had the issue, you might want to try that or even Maven 2.0.10.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Felix

Re: Compilation failure: org.osgi.framework.Constants stuff

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

John Langley schrieb:
> I ran into something similar yesterday, however in my case a command
> line driven maven build was fine, whereas a maven build from within
> eclipse was failing in the way that Vidar describes.

Failure to compile inside Eclipse but not on the command line might be
related to the fact, that depending on the Maven plugin you are using,
the Eclipse-integrated Maven version operates differently than your
command line Maven version with respect to class path ordering.

Regards
Felix

Re: Jackrabbit Backup

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Nitesh Ambuj <na...@eforceglobal.com> wrote:
> We wanted to take a backup of Jackrabbit repository, may be in XML format or
> something which is available.

This is a question for the Jackrabbit mailing list. Have a look at the
Jackrabbit website, it's wiki and archived mailing list threads, there
are backup scenarios documented.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek
alexander.klimetschek@day.com

Jackrabbit Backup

Posted by Nitesh Ambuj <na...@eforceglobal.com>.
Hi All,

We are working on an application which is using Sling Framework and
Jackrabbit repository. Everything is working fine and now we are considering
to implement security / backup procedures.

We wanted to take a backup of Jackrabbit repository, may be in XML format or
something which is available.

Let us know if there's a way for backup.

Thanks & Regards,
Nitesh Ambuj

Re: Compilation failure: org.osgi.framework.Constants stuff

Posted by Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no>.
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 9:01 PM, John Langley
<Jo...@mathworks.com> wrote:
> I ran into something similar yesterday, however in my case a command
> line driven maven build was fine, whereas a maven build from within
> eclipse was failing in the way that Vidar describes.

In my (failing) case I was already running maven from the command
line, so I didn't even have that option left :(

But you inspired me to try running maven through my IDE (Intellij
IDEA), and that actually works. Weird.

Posted by John Langley <Jo...@mathworks.com>.

Posted by Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vidar,

This is strange and never has been reported... But it may be related to
how maven resolves dependencies :-(

The point is that this property is rather new, so Framework 1.5-SNAPSHOT
has it. But the property is in the org.osgi.framework.Constants
interface which is both in the Apache Felix framework and the OSGi Core
JAR Files.

Thus if maven uses the framework first, the constant resolves. If maven
uses the OSGi Core library first in the class path, the constant does
not resolve.

Posted by Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no>.
Just in case someone has the same problem as I did with
org.osgi.framework.Constants:
My problem disappeared when upgrading to Maven 2.0.10.