Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Rodrigo Ruiz <rr...@gridsystems.com> on 2006/05/19 12:01:50 UTC

[Axis2] How to share a service implementation with Axis 1.x?

Hi all,

I am trying to find out if it is possible to publish a service
implementation with both Axis 1.x and Axis 2. I need to do this for
ensuring compatibility with the current version, as it uses RPC/encoded.

The idea is to have a single internal implementation, published as an
RPC/encoded service with Axis 1.x, and as a Document/literal service
with Axis 2.

I am planning to put all the service implementation classes into the
shared/lib directory, deploy a separate webapp for each Axis version,
and deploy the same service on both webapps.

Being still in an analysis phase, I have some technical doubts that, I
know, will have to be addressed before deciding the final architecture.

1. Will the support of RPC/encoded be added to Axis 2? If the answer is
yes, I would prefer to wait for its availability, depending on when it
is planned to be added.

2. Is it possible to use both Axis versions within the same classloader?
That is, can the same webapp have an Axis 1.x and an Axis 2 servlets
working at the same time? Would this produce class name conflicts?

3. Is there a "known best practice" for sharing my service beans among
both Axis versions? I am considering to generate them with XmlBeans, but
I guess the generated classes will only understand document/literal OR
rpc/encoded, but not both.

4. The service currently throws an Exception that inherits from
AxisFault, and I would like to remove this dependency. It is done so,
because we wanted to fill the fault code and details with some internal
data (for message i18n support on the client side). Is it possible to
control the serialization of all these fields with an Exception that
does not inherit from AxisFault? Maybe with custom serializers?

Sorry, I know they are too many questions.

Thanks in advance,
Rodrigo Ruiz
GRIDSYSTEMS                    Rodrigo Ruiz Aguayo
Parc Bit - Son Espanyol
07120 Palma de Mallorca        mailto:rruiz@gridsystems.com
Baleares - EspaƱa              Tel:+34-971435085 Fax:+34-971435082
http://www.gridsystems.com