Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2022/01/01 15:18:39 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Future of Log4j 1.x

+1 to Option 1

Ralph

Re: [VOTE] Future of Log4j 1.x

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I’m +1 for option one. For projects that ignored published CVEs for multiple years and then ignored the EOL announcement, I don’t see any reason they’d bother updating their ancient copies. Given the release difficulty in making something that’s compatible with previous releases makes this even more of a waste of time.

—
Matt Sicker

Re: [VOTE] Future of Log4j 1.x

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jan 1, 2022, at 18:19, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 4:40 PM Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >  People should migrate to log4j2.
>> good thinking, but what if they migrate to logback...
>
> No, it's not (good thinking, that is).
>
> Log4j1 is a part of basically *every* Java based server software, that
> I am aware of. People don't want to touch those. They need a drop-in
> replacement, not a successor. Over the last week, I was *really
> puzzled* about all the stuff that claims to be affected by the
> problems in log4j2. And that's the lesser used of the two...

For what exactly do we need that now? The security issues in log4j1 are 10 years old and you just don't have to use JMSAppender and you are good too go.

Cheers,
Christian

Re: [VOTE] Future of Log4j 1.x

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

[DISCUSS][VOTE] Future of Log4j 1.x

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Discussion shouldn’t happen on the main vote thread please.

Users are certainly free to use Logback. If they are OK with losing log events
during reconfiguration and using a framework that is maintained by one person
and are OK when he disappears for a year and a half that is their choice. Please
remember, this is not a commercial venture. No Java logging framework is.

Switching to Logback also requires work. It doesn’t natively support Log4j 1
configuration files. Log4j 2 does support Log4j 1 configuration using the Log4j
1.2 bridge, which we are constantly improving.

But the bottom line is that I would prefer that users migrate to Logback over
sticking with Log4j 1. Although it has many of Log4j 1’s flaws it does not suffer
from the multi-threading issues that Log4j 1 has. Of course, I think Log4j 2 is a
better choice, but I am obviously biased.

Happy New Year!

Ralph

Re: [VOTE] Future of Log4j 1.x

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.