Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Sheng Zha <zh...@apache.org> on 2021/01/03 20:47:59 UTC

Third-party Brand Usage Reviews (due Jan 5th)

Dear community members,

Hope everyone has had a great holiday. Managing third-party brand
usage is an important part of project management, and in MXNet we had
several issues before. I'd like to start a thread on collaborating on
proactive third-party brand usage reviews with the goal of managing
any outstanding issue and reporting our progress in the upcoming
January podling report.

The goal of this review is to ensure third-party contents are
compliant with Apache's trademark policy [1], incubator's branding
policy [2], and the latest release distribution policy [3]. We had
some issues with contents from companies by which some of our PPMC
members were employed with [4], and that we took actions to address
the known ones. They can be referred to as examples when identifying
issues.

To this end, I'm looking for volunteers to help make sure that the
contents that are related to MXNet from third parties (including those
who sponsor MXNet committers and PPMC members) are compliant.
The timeline for this review is to be concluded by Jan 5th so that it
can be included in the report due on 6th.

Thanks and happy new year,
Sheng

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks
[2] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html
[3] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/distribution.html
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-253

Re: Third-party Brand Usage Reviews (due Jan 5th)

Posted by Sheng Zha <zh...@apache.org>.
I managed to search on the recent (i.e. since mid-Oct 2020) MXNet distribution activities on
amazon.com and nvidia.com.
Looks like NVIDIA has fully adopted the naming "NVIDIA Optimized Deep Learning Framework, powered by
Apache MXNet" on nvidia.com sites (e.g. see [1]), which is compliant with the branding guideline. On amazon.com,
the distribution from AWS switched to the naming "AWS MX powered by Apache MXNet" which is also compliant. However
there are still a number of images on AWS marketplace that aren't properly following the naming
conventions [3-12], including some known issues tracked in INCUBATOR-253. Most of the issues are around missing the reference "Apache MXNet (incubating)" and directly calling "MXNet". The PPMC will reach out to their publishers for correction.

If anyone spots similar issues it would be helpful to continue to report them here.

Thanks,
Sheng

[1] https://docs.nvidia.com/deeplearning/frameworks/mxnet-release-notes/rel_20-03.html
[2] https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B07Q2XHY28?qid=1609989161134&sr=0-12&ref_=srh_res_product_title