Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2003/11/15 05:05:16 UTC

Re: Subversion Cross Reference site updated

Christian Sauer <ch...@endrun.org> writes:
> The Subversion Cross Reference site (http://www.endrun.org/xr/svn)
> has been updated to include the 0.33.0 release.

You must have cross-referenced a live working copy, because it snagged
all the text-base files (*.svn-base).  One solution to this would be
to tell the crawler to ignore .svn/ directories, or if that's not
possible, then use 'svn export' instead of 'svn checkout' to get the
source data.

To see an example of the problem, go to

   http://www.endrun.org/xr/svn/search

and search for the string "fraisant".

Also, in the search results, clicking on any of the highlighted
filenames results in an error like this, whether or not it is a
*.svn-base file:

   The file /trunk/subversion/libsvn_subr/hash.c does not exist

Thought you'd want to know,
-Karl

Re: Subversion Cross Reference site updated

Posted by Christian Sauer <ch...@endrun.org>.
On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 10:45:20AM -0800, Malcolm Fernandes wrote:
> On Saturday 15 November 2003 20:53, Christian Sauer wrote:
> > >
> > > You must have cross-referenced a live working copy, because it snagged
> > > all the text-base files (*.svn-base).  One solution to this would be
> > > to tell the crawler to ignore .svn/ directories, or if that's not
> > > possible, then use 'svn export' instead of 'svn checkout' to get the
> > > source data.
> >
> > There isn't an easy way to tell it not to look at files, so perhaps 'svn
> > export' is a better way to go.
>
> This is what I do to exclude the .svn directories:
>
> Create a .glimpse_exclude file before you run glimpseindex
>
> echo '/.svn/' >> .glimpse_exclude
>
> Regards,
>
> Mal

Good to know!  I have added the .glimpse_exclude to the trunks glimpse foldder.
 Thanks!

-Christian

--
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.
Right now I am so far behind I will never die.

-Bill Waterson, Calvin and Hobbes

Re: Subversion Cross Reference site updated

Posted by Malcolm Fernandes <mf...@octigabay.com>.
On Saturday 15 November 2003 20:53, Christian Sauer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 11:05:16PM -0600, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > Christian Sauer <ch...@endrun.org> writes:
> > > The Subversion Cross Reference site (http://www.endrun.org/xr/svn)
> > > has been updated to include the 0.33.0 release.
> >
> > You must have cross-referenced a live working copy, because it snagged
> > all the text-base files (*.svn-base).  One solution to this would be
> > to tell the crawler to ignore .svn/ directories, or if that's not
> > possible, then use 'svn export' instead of 'svn checkout' to get the
> > source data.
>
> There isn't an easy way to tell it not to look at files, so perhaps 'svn
> export' is a better way to go.

This is what I do to exclude the .svn directories:

Create a .glimpse_exclude file before you run glimpseindex

echo '/.svn/' >> .glimpse_exclude

Regards,

Mal

--
This email message is confidential and may contain privileged
information. Any unauthorized dissemination or copying is strictly

Re: Subversion Cross Reference site updated

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net> writes:
> > Keep two folders:  one is a WC, and another is a scratch folder from
> > which you run your XRef program.  svn export can run from a WC, and will
> > export local changes.
>
> Karl, I think they found your use case for svn export from WC!

Heh!  Nice catch, yes...

Re: Subversion Cross Reference site updated

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
Hi!

[ snip ]

> > There isn't an easy way to tell it not to look at files, so perhaps 'svn
> > export' is a better way to go.  Does export work like checkout, in the
> > sense that running 'svn export' in a wc will pull in only changes?  I
> > would
> > hate to have to smash and recreate the directory every night.
>
> Keep two folders:  one is a WC, and another is a scratch folder from
> which you run your XRef program.  svn export can run from a WC, and will
> export local changes.

Karl, I think they found your use case for svn export from WC!

bye,

Erik.

Re: Subversion Cross Reference site updated

Posted by Francois Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net>.
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:53:43 -0500, "Christian Sauer"
<ch...@endrun.org> said:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 11:05:16PM -0600, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > Christian Sauer <ch...@endrun.org> writes:
> > > The Subversion Cross Reference site (http://www.endrun.org/xr/svn)
> > > has been updated to include the 0.33.0 release.
> >
> > You must have cross-referenced a live working copy, because it snagged
> > all the text-base files (*.svn-base).  One solution to this would be
> > to tell the crawler to ignore .svn/ directories, or if that's not
> > possible, then use 'svn export' instead of 'svn checkout' to get the
> > source data.
>
> There isn't an easy way to tell it not to look at files, so perhaps 'svn
> export' is a better way to go.  Does export work like checkout, in the
> sense that running 'svn export' in a wc will pull in only changes?  I
> would
> hate to have to smash and recreate the directory every night.

Keep two folders:  one is a WC, and another is a scratch folder from
which you run your XRef program.  svn export can run from a WC, and will
export local changes.

So, your nightly script should update the Subversion repository, svn
export to a local folder, and then the XRef thingie will run in the
exported folder.

[snip]

Hope that helps !
François
Developer of Java Gui Builder
http://jgb.sourceforge.net/

Re: Subversion Cross Reference site updated

Posted by Christian Sauer <ch...@endrun.org>.
On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 11:05:16PM -0600, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Christian Sauer <ch...@endrun.org> writes:
> > The Subversion Cross Reference site (http://www.endrun.org/xr/svn)
> > has been updated to include the 0.33.0 release.
>
> You must have cross-referenced a live working copy, because it snagged
> all the text-base files (*.svn-base).  One solution to this would be
> to tell the crawler to ignore .svn/ directories, or if that's not
> possible, then use 'svn export' instead of 'svn checkout' to get the
> source data.

There isn't an easy way to tell it not to look at files, so perhaps 'svn
export' is a better way to go.  Does export work like checkout, in the
sense that running 'svn export' in a wc will pull in only changes?  I would
hate to have to smash and recreate the directory every night.

> Also, in the search results, clicking on any of the highlighted
> filenames results in an error like this, whether or not it is a
> *.svn-base file:
>
>    The file /trunk/subversion/libsvn_subr/hash.c does not exist

Heh.  What it said it couldn't find and what it actually was looking for
were two different things.  This is working for all revisions now.

> Thought you'd want to know,
> -Karl

Thanks for the heads up.

-Christian