Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joel Maisenhelder <ma...@ugs.com> on 2002/09/23 18:19:57 UTC

Java Process hanging

Dear Gang,
    I am running Tomcat 4.1.10 with java 1.4 on Solaris 8 . I am having
    trouble shutting down the tomcat server. I do a shutdown.sh and it
    says that it is stopping the server all the logs say it is down and
    you can nolonger reach the port 8080 webserver but if I do a
    "ps -aef | grep java" I still see the java process running and if I do
    a start I get another java process wich does not go away with a
    shutdown so after a little while I have lots of java process runnning
    and I must do a pkill java on them to get rid of them . Is there any
    ideas out there as to why this is happening or how to debug it better
    . Thanks in advance.
--
--Joel Maisenhelder
maisenhe@ugs.com

RE: Java Process hanging

Posted by Mike Jackson <mj...@cdi-hq.com>.
I have that problem sometimes.  In what I'm doing the most likely culprit is
that one of the threads is blocked waiting on I/O.  That's probably the same
problem that you're having.  To really solve it you'd need to determine when
and where you're blocking.  That can be a lot of work, and probably a lot of
debug output.  Personally I just ignore the problem and in my own shutdown
script I look to see that tomcat really shutdown.  If it doesn't "kill -9"
will get rid of it nicely.

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson
mjackson@cdi-hq.com

    I am running Tomcat 4.1.10 with java 1.4 on Solaris 8 . I am having
    trouble shutting down the tomcat server. I do a shutdown.sh and it
    says that it is stopping the server all the logs say it is down and
    you can nolonger reach the port 8080 webserver but if I do a
    "ps -aef | grep java" I still see the java process running and if I do
    a start I get another java process wich does not go away with a
    shutdown so after a little while I have lots of java process runnning
    and I must do a pkill java on them to get rid of them . Is there any
    ideas out there as to why this is happening or how to debug it better
    . Thanks in advance.
--
--Joel Maisenhelder
maisenhe@ugs.com
=====
One by one, the penguins steal my sanity

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>