Posted to users@camel.apache.org by deepak_a <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/19 16:05:53 UTC

When to use AWS SQS?

Hi,

Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong forum (have just stared with AWS
- though might get a better response here given that Camel supports SQS)

I am analyzing the various components of AWS.
My current architecture looks similar to the image in the below link

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-Clustered-JBoss-and-JDBC-Master-Slave-td2348023.html;cid=1376917391007-7#a2348028

Components involved:

1. Jboss AS + ActiveMQ (integrated into JBoss)
2. Apache Camel
3. Oracle DB

I am using ActiveMQ as messageBroker.
My system send/receive external systems via Webservice/JMS.

My initial idea is to move this entire system to a EC2 instance and trial it
out.
I can understand that the following AWS components come into picture

1. Route 53 (for DNS)
2. EC2 instance (where I plan to 'host' my application - to start with I am
planning to run the Database and Jboss in the same instance)
3. Amazon S3 (for storing logs/static data)

I am trying to understand if Amazon SQS will fit into this at all?

My current architecture itself uses a MessageBus (which also does a DB
persistance/stire) which ensures reliable availablity of messages.
Assuming I do clustering and I have multiple EC2s running - I do have HA.

So do I really need to use Amazon SQS here?
I can understand it provides a messaging framework - but does it really
provide any value in my architecture.

regards

Re: When to use AWS SQS?

Posted by Bilgin Ibryam <bi...@gmail.com>.
AWS SQS has different characteristics than ActiveMQ, you have to
consider those too.
It is priced per message, doesn't support FIFO, much slower, but
distributed and HA...

Cheers
Bilgin

Re: When to use AWS SQS?

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
Another thing to consider is that SQS is great for some situations, but
consider these facts:

Message size cannot be greater than 256K
Messages are not delivered in order
Your throughput and latency requirements (need to be fast?) need to be
considered..

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:11 AM, deepak_a <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks, that was useful.
> We are providing our Software as a Saas.
>
> Its sometimes hosted/deployed within our firm and at times deployed at the
> client's site.
> Now we plan to deploy our software in the cloud and provide it as a service
> to clients.
>
> I am still trying to understand if there is any "value" in using AWS SQS.
> As mentioned - we are able to achieve HA & HS using current architecture -
> so trying to understand if there is any value in using AWS SQS. (in which
> case my architecture will change a lot to use SQS)
>
> regards

*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: When to use AWS SQS?

Re: When to use AWS SQS?

Posted by Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think you should know the difference between the IAAS and SAAS[1].

When you using EC2, you don't need to take care of the physical machine any more, but you still need to install the OS, DB and Application Server to build up your service.
But if you are using AWS SQS, you don't need take care of the physical machine, Broker, or DB, you just need to use SQS API to access the service that you want.
And AWS SQS will solve the HA, scalability issue for you.

[1]http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16820336/what-is-saas-paas-and-iaas-with-examples

--
Willem Jiang

Red Hat, Inc.