Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "G. Wade Johnson" <wa...@abbnm.com> on 2003/05/06 16:36:27 UTC

ThumbnailDialog confusion/bug?

I have been asked to add an interactive thumbnail view to a Batik-based
app I'm working on.

I found the ThumbnailDialog in the Squiggle source that does almost
exactly what I want. As a quick test, I figured I would just copy the
code over and see how it worked. Unfortunately, the thumbnail seems to
lose contact with the main picture.

My application is dynamically updating the SVG, so I wouldn't be
surprised if some of the display were out of synch. However, the
problem is that the thumbnail stops responding to the mouse after the
viewing rectangle is moved. Forcing the thumbnail dialog to be
redisplayed (by covering the window and uncovering it) causes it to
respond again, but the viewing rectangle is moved back to its
original location. Moving it again causes the main view to move
relative to it's current position, but that no longer matches the
thumbnail view.

I figured it was caused by my changes to the SVG. So I tried to
duplicate the effect with Squiggle. Using a dynamic SVG file (the
clock posted here in Feb.), I see exactly the same behaviour.

Any ideas on how to get this to function?

G. Wade

Re: ThumbnailDialog confusion/bug?

Posted by "G. Wade Johnson" <wa...@abbnm.com>.
A little further information...

If I pause the SVG updates while manipulating the thumbnail and then
resume, everything works as expected. (Obviously, changes on the main
view do not show up on the thumbnail. However, the view rectangle
remains ni synch with the mail view at all times.)

If I pause and resume around every thumbnail manipulation, all is well.
I'm not sure if this is a viable alternative in my case.

G. Wade

Posted by "G. Wade Johnson" <wa...@abbnm.com>.
That makes sense.

I'll see if I can work around it (or drop the requirement) in my app.
If I come up with anything real (or any useful data), I'll pass it on.

Thanks as always,
G. Wade

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.