Posted to commits@pig.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2010/01/12 02:51:52 UTC

[Pig Wiki] Update of "Pig070IncompatibleChanges" by PradeepKamath

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Pig Wiki" for change notification.

The "Pig070IncompatibleChanges" page has been changed by PradeepKamath.
http://wiki.apache.org/pig/Pig070IncompatibleChanges?action=diff&rev1=12&rev2=13

  First, in the initial (0.7.0) release, '''we will not support optimization''' where if streaming follows load of compatible format or is followed by format compatible store the data is not parsed but passed in chunks from the loader or to the store. The main reason we are not porting the optimization is that the work is not trivial and the optimization was never documented and so unlikely to be used.

- Second, '''you can no longer use load/store functions for (de)serialization.''' A new interface has been defined that needed to be implemented for custom (de)serializations. The default (PigStorage) format will continue to work. This formar is now implemented by a class called org.apache.pig.impl.streaming.PigStreaming that can be also used directly in the streaming statement. Details of the new interface are describe in http://wiki.apache.org/pig/LoadStoreRedesignProposal.
+ Second, '''you can no longer use load/store functions for (de)serialization.''' A new interface has been defined that has to be implemented for custom (de)serializations. The default (PigStorage) format will continue to work. This format is now implemented by a class called org.apache.pig.impl.streaming.PigStreaming that can be also used directly in the streaming statement. Details of the new interface are describe in http://wiki.apache.org/pig/LoadStoreRedesignProposal.

  We have also removed org.apache.pig.builtin.BinaryStorage loader/store function and org.apache.pig.builtin.PigDump which were only used from within streaming. They can be restored if needed - we would just need to implement the corresponding Input/OutputFormats.