Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2005/06/22 22:19:31 UTC

Re: pb in searching pub.

solprovider@gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks for confirmation I didn't leave anything out this time.  I
> added Lenya1.2.3 to the list of tested platforms.

i think we should replace the search implementation in the default
publication of 1.2.x with yours. it has the advantage of actually
working and more closely fitting the needs of most people.

for 1.4, we will hopefully have a student work with us on rearchitecting
search (through google summer of code).

WDYT?

Re: pb in searching pub.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> solprovider@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Are you asking me, or the devs?  I think it is good and useful, and
>> posted it to share with everybody.  The "Easy Download" was created
>> for the default pub, so you can replace it quickly.

this has been added to SVN, and will be part of the 1.2.4 release. thank
you very much for slogging through this and making a solution available.
the amount of traffic on the topic makes it clear this is a very popular
feature :)

Re: pb in searching pub.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
solprovider@gmail.com wrote:

> Are you asking me, or the devs?  I think it is good and useful, and
> posted it to share with everybody.  The "Easy Download" was created
> for the default pub, so you can replace it quickly.

i was mostly asking the devs, since this will replace some of the
existing (broken) functionality.

> It does have issues:
> 1. File locking: Is this a Lucene issue?  Lenya had to be shutdown
> before recreating the index on MSWindows.  I haven't tested updates on
> Linux yet.  Do incremental updates handle this better?

dunno, but windows is pretty strict about locking files

> 2. Scheduling:  I plan to use cron on Linux, but I haven't tested it
> yet.  The scheduler should be integral to Lenya.

this should use the cron block in cocoon, not os-level facilities (which
are not portable). as a workaround yes, as a longer term solution, no.

> 3. Custom doctypes:  Since it indexes the XML directly, customization
> for non-standard documents requires instructions.  The instructions
> were not needed when everything was translated to HTML before
> indexing.

good point

> Future development:
> 1. Security should read from a configuration file.  It is easy to add
> reading a file to search-and-results.xsp, but that configuration file
> should also be used for preventing protected pages from displaying,
> and removing items from the menus.  I implemented this with XSL, but
> Lenya should handle security automatically.
> 2. Rather than scheduling the updates, they should be triggered from
> the CMS GUI when documents are changed, with a delay so the indexer
> does not run while the site is being heavily updated.

for the future development, i would strongly suggest to await
developments. with luck, we will be able to have a student work on this
full time shortly.

Re: pb in searching pub.

Posted by so...@gmail.com.
On 6/22/05, Gregor J. Rothfuss <gr...@apache.org> wrote:
> I think we should replace the search implementation in the default
> publication of 1.2.x with yours. It has the advantage of actually
> working and more closely fitting the needs of most people.
>
> For 1.4, we will hopefully have a student work with us on rearchitecting
> search (through google summer of code).
> WDYT?

Are you asking me, or the devs?  I think it is good and useful, and
posted it to share with everybody.  The "Easy Download" was created
for the default pub, so you can replace it quickly.

It does have issues:
1. File locking: Is this a Lucene issue?  Lenya had to be shutdown
before recreating the index on MSWindows.  I haven't tested updates on
Linux yet.  Do incremental updates handle this better?
2. Scheduling:  I plan to use cron on Linux, but I haven't tested it
yet.  The scheduler should be integral to Lenya.
3. Custom doctypes:  Since it indexes the XML directly, customization
for non-standard documents requires instructions.  The instructions
were not needed when everything was translated to HTML before
indexing.

Future development:
1. Security should read from a configuration file.  It is easy to add
reading a file to search-and-results.xsp, but that configuration file
should also be used for preventing protected pages from displaying,
and removing items from the menus.  I implemented this with XSL, but
Lenya should handle security automatically.
2. Rather than scheduling the updates, they should be triggered from
the CMS GUI when documents are changed, with a delay so the indexer
does not run while the site is being heavily updated.

Enjoy,
solprovider