Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jiger Java <ji...@hotmail.com> on 2001/10/12 07:29:06 UTC

Blocking specific IP addresses with Tomcat

Hi all,
       Does anyone know of a way to block users from specific IP Address(say
in case of DDos Attacks or just limiting no. of request/IP).
I want to implement this on Tomcat either 3.x or tomcat 4.
I know it is possible using Apache but any idea how we can do this if tomcat
is running in standalone mode.

Thanks,
Jiger

Re: Blocking specific IP addresses with Tomcat

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Jiger Java wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:59:06 +0530
> From: Jiger Java <ji...@hotmail.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Blocking specific IP addresses with Tomcat
>
> Hi all,
>        Does anyone know of a way to block users from specific IP Address(say
> in case of DDos Attacks or just limiting no. of request/IP).
> I want to implement this on Tomcat either 3.x or tomcat 4.
> I know it is possible using Apache but any idea how we can do this if tomcat
> is running in standalone mode.

In Tomcat 4 you can use Request Filters for blocking, but by the time it
gets that far you've already invested nearly as much effort as it would
take to just go ahead and process the request.

Your best bet is to take advantage of the firewalling capabilities of your
operating system (most Linux variants come with quite nice packages for
managing this kind of thing, for example).

> Thanks,
> Jiger

Craig