Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/16 00:42:05 UTC

Docs for 1.1?

Hi All,
We are getting close to get v1.1 out of the door. As it looks now we will not have documentation. I
think we can have it if we all jump into it and come up with at least a minimun of things to cover
and at least a few guys for tackling some of those topics.

What are the areas you consider to be more criticial? Which one do you need the most?  (i.e. hot
deployment, db pools config, etc.)

Anyone out there who can contribute? If you have any notes laying around, that will help. Anything
to get started.

We will also need some stuff for the web site for v1.1. A quick start would probably be really good.
I don't know if we want to include all the docs in the binary dist, what do you guys think?

Everyone is invited! We'll get it done if we all work on it.

Cheers!
Hernan

Re: Docs for 1.1?

Posted by Mario Rübsam <mr...@coderesearch.com>.
Here some thoughts about the docs for 1.1 release.

When I started with Geronimo I had the biggest hassle
with the deployment plans for either the db or for the
app itself. The problem was inconsistency with all the
docs available and also a the versions (milestones and
release 1.0). My suggestion here is to put some version
attribute in the deployment plans that identifies that
the plan is associated to a specific Geronimo release.

I also expected some problems with inconsistent behavior
between the console, the deploy tool and the deploy
directoy when deploying.
This is not a documentation problem itself but the messages
documenting the errors are sometimes confusing esp.
when you get different messages with the above tools
and sometimes only schema evaluation errors not pointing
to the real problem.
So my suggestions for future versions is referencing
some documentation chapters in the error or warning
message to find help without searching for the error
message in the web.

The next problem for me as a geronimo starter was the
upgrade to a new EJB and Servlet version. This is not
a Geronimo documentation problem but I see a lot people
in this list stumble about resource and ejb refs.
This is not a part of Geronimo documentation but to
avoid lots of equal questions in the mailing list, the
Geronimo documentation should include some links to
common tutorials (for the appropriate J2EE version) when
talking about standard deployment descriptors and the
deployment descriptors needed by Geronimo.

The Geronimo quick start should contain the deployment
of a simple application including database access, Servlet/JSP,
EJB deployment in an EAR with all deployment descriptors (standard
and Geronimo specific), the deployment plans for the DB and the
application. This should be a simple Hello World app just to
show all the necessary files in the current (1.1 compatible) form,
ready to compile, deploy and run. The console is great
but the documentation should only use the deployer for that
example.
Looking at such an example is easier than studying a formal
documentation about each needed file.

What I missed in the 1.0 documentation were some info
about JNDI and how it is integrated in Geronimo. I saw
some questions here in the list and some good answers that
could be part of it. Also some information for people who
porting from other systems and missing the feature of
serving static files outside the application archives.

Tuning hints for some use cases would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Mario

Re: Docs for 1.1?

Posted by Mario Rübsam <mr...@coderesearch.com>.
Erin,

nice work, looks like a user friendly startup
for people new to Geronimo. There are some
pages for the IT managers too ;)

I doesn't look crappy in Firefox on Windows.
Only the font for the <code> tag is to large.
All other fonts look like in your screenshots
only with a bit thinner lines.

The difference with IE is that you have only
single column text. Not a big problem only
some longer pages.

Here is a screen with that large <code> font on
Firefox Windows.

http://www.x512.net/dev/geronimo/screen1.png

Cheers!
Mario

Re: Docs for 1.1?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Everything looks crappy on Windows ;-)

--jason

On 5/17/06, Erin Mulder <me...@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com wrote:
> > - Need a Getting Started document
>
> For what it's worth, I've been putting together a free "Geronimo
> Cookbook" with very short tutorials on a lot of the basics.  I'm hoping
> to finish it up in time for the 1.1 release.
>
> You can see a few screenshots at:
>
> http://www.geronimocookbook.org/screenshot.jpg
> http://www.geronimocookbook.org/screenshot-ports.jpg
> http://www.geronimocookbook.org/screenshot-deploy.jpg
>
> (The content is actually live at the main geronimocookbook.org URL, but
> the fonts/layout still look crappy on Windows so I'm shy about
> publishing a direct link yet.  I need to get access to a Windows machine
> so that I can tweak the CSS.  I also need to update the videos to cover
> 1.1.)
>
> I'd be happy to donate all of this to the project if we can keep it in
> its offbeat HTML format.  My goal is to make it easy/enticing for
> Geronimo beginners to get to the point where they'll be ready to look
> through more detailed documentation (which doesn't need all the fancy
> formatting and very rightly lives in Confluence).
>
> Cheers,
> Erin

Re: Docs for 1.1?

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
Speaking of Confluence, Hernan e-mailed me offlist with the URL to the
Confluence documentation for Geronimo 1.1:

http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO/Apache+Geronimo+V1.1+-+Documentation

I will be adding to that as time and knowledge permit, but I'm sure
contributions from others will not be turned down... :)

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      Erin Mulder
                      <meara@alumni.pri        To:       user@geronimo.apache.org
                      nceton.edu>              cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: Docs for 1.1?
                      05/17/2006 08:42
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      user

Re: Docs for 1.1?

Posted by Erin Mulder <me...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com wrote:
> - Need a Getting Started document

For what it's worth, I've been putting together a free "Geronimo
Cookbook" with very short tutorials on a lot of the basics.  I'm hoping
to finish it up in time for the 1.1 release.

You can see a few screenshots at:

http://www.geronimocookbook.org/screenshot.jpg
http://www.geronimocookbook.org/screenshot-ports.jpg
http://www.geronimocookbook.org/screenshot-deploy.jpg

(The content is actually live at the main geronimocookbook.org URL, but
the fonts/layout still look crappy on Windows so I'm shy about
publishing a direct link yet.  I need to get access to a Windows machine
so that I can tweak the CSS.  I also need to update the videos to cover
1.1.)

I'd be happy to donate all of this to the project if we can keep it in
its offbeat HTML format.  My goal is to make it easy/enticing for
Geronimo beginners to get to the point where they'll be ready to look
through more detailed documentation (which doesn't need all the fancy
formatting and very rightly lives in Confluence).

Cheers,
Erin

Re: Docs for 1.1?

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
Hernan,

I'm in the process of putting together a detailed walk-thru (which
unfortunately is taking alot longer than I had expected).  In the meantime,
here are some initial observations:

- Need a Getting Started document seperate from Section 2.2 of Aaron
Mulder's online book.  This should be a document owned by the Geronimo
project and hosted on geronimo.apache.org
- Add links to Getting Started and the FAQ in the Quick Links section of
the sidebar
- Add a link to User Documentation in the Community section of the sidebar
- Seperate User Documentation from Developer Documentation
- Seperate Geronimo Documentation from external resources (developerWorks
articles, online books, etc)
- Identify external links as such

HTH,
Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      Hernan Cunico
                      <hcunico@gmail.co        To:       user@geronimo.apache.org
                      m>                       cc:
                                               Subject:  Docs for 1.1?
                      05/15/2006 06:42
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      user

[...]

Getting Started Walk-thru (was Re: Docs for 1.1?)

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
Ok.  So I fire up Firefox, go to http://geronimo.apache.org.  We've got a
little welcome blurb, with news items below it.  The most recent of these
is almost three months old, with almost half of them over six months old.
Not sure "new" that is, but we're here for the documentation, so let's move
on.

On the right hand of the screen we have a nav bar: Quick Links, Community
and Development.  No Getting Started document.  There is a link to an FAQ
and Wiki in the Community section, but no link to documentation.  But there
is a Documentation tab on top, so let's check that out.

Hmm.  We start off with a warning about the lack of documentation.  This
doesn't look good.  Below that, we have Online documentation.  Here we have
Apache Geronimo V1 Documentation which is a link to...in-progress
documentation on many areas of Geronimo...not real descriptive, but we'll
get back to that later.

Below that we have Apache Geronimo Development Process.  I would have
expected to see that under the Development section, not Documentation.  Ok,
skip that.  Next we have Quick Start, covering installation, configuration
of database pools and security realms.  Now this looks promising!  Would
have been nice if this was the first item in the documentation listing.
Even better if there was a link to this document on the main page.  No
matter.

We click on the link and are taken to...chariotsolutions.com.  Well that
was unexpected!  But let's see what we have.  This appears to be part of
some larger document (yes, I know this is part of Aaron's online book, but
we're walking through as a novice user, so work with me :) ).

So Step 1 (or Step 2.2.1 if you prefer) is to download the .tar.gz or .zip
package.  No link in the document.  Better go back to geronimo.apache.org.
Ok, so we download geronimo-tomcat-j2ee-1.0.zip and extract to C:\  So far
so good.  Let's go back to our Getting Started document.  Ok, now time to
start the server.  Open a command prompt, cd to geronimo-1.0 and make sure
Java 1.4.2 is on the PATH.  Uh oh.  All I have is Java 1.5.  Guess I better
go download and install Java 1.4.2.

Ok.  Now that we've got Java 1.4.2 installed, with the PATH updated, let's
try this again.  Execute 'java -jar bin\server.jar'.  We get the text
progress bar and startup messages.  So far so good.  There don't appear to
be any issues with the ports, so we can skip Section 2.2.3 Customize
Network Ports (if necessary).

Alright.  Time to log into the console.  Navigate to
http://localhost:8080/console in Firefox and...we get a login screen
(complete with cute stylized 'G')!  Alright!  Now we're cooking with gas!
We log in with username 'system' and password 'manager'...and we've got
ourselves a working Geronimo Console!

A little bit of pain at the beginning there, but all in all, not too bad.

Ian