Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org> on 2010/09/27 21:18:17 UTC

Client hanging 20 seconds after job's over (WAS: Re: Can I run HBase 0.20.6 on Hadoop 0.21?)

(adding mapreduce-user@ and re-scoping title)

Can you jstack the client while it's waiting 20 seconds? Is it still
waiting for the job to come back or it's something else? Is the job
itself done cleaning 20 seconds before the call returns on the client
side (check the web ui)?

J-D

Re: Client hanging 20 seconds after job's over (WAS: Re: Can I run HBase 0.20.6 on Hadoop 0.21?)

Posted by Pete Tyler <pe...@gmail.com>.
Oops .... Sorry, hit send by mistake.

The stack is pretty large and as the job tracker webui shows cleanup completes about 1 sec before the client finishes this does not look like a client issue. Is that a reasonable assumption?

The jobtracker webui shows map takes 2 secs but reduce from 9 to 12 secs.

0 secs: client submits job
+0 secs: jobtracker web ui shows job started
+6 secs: web ui shows map started
+9 secs: web ui shows map complete
+9 secs: web ui shows reduce started
+21 secs: web ui shows reduce complete
+24 secs: web ui shows job cleanup successful

If I change the map class so that it passes on zero records to the reduce, ie reduce input records = 0, the reduce step still takes 9 seconds.

Posted by Pete Tyler <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrey Stepachev <oc...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps the reason of those slowdowns are:
1. copy and unpack job jar.
2. start child java process