Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> on 2013/10/26 17:13:44 UTC

Multiple subnets in shared network

Hello,

In an Adv zone with shared network and SG is it possible to add
multiple subnets per network? I've run out of a /29 and need to add more
IPs, but can't find any option for this.
Before I submit a feature request, does anyone know better?

Regards,
Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: Multiple subnets in shared network

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 26.10.2013 22:40, Marty Sweet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Technically a subnet is a network, in terms of how CS implements it
> with a
> Gateway and CIDR.
> Adding more subnets to extend your /29 (within the same CS network)
> wouldn't make logical sense as your default gateway would have to be
> different for each subnet, otherwise the subnet given to each VM would
> isolate it from another /29 subnet which you have specified.
>
> Can't you just create a new network for the extra addresses you need,
> with
> the required CIDR and Gateway?

Hi Marty,

My simulation is selling VPSes and the shared network with SG is great
for this, except for this small detail. I can't know when a subnet will
"run out" and creating VMs with it will error our; addind a new
network/subnet does not help.
This is handled well in the "basic networking" where you can add new
subnets, I just want the same behaviour here.

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Technically a subnet is a network, in terms of how CS implements it with a
Gateway and CIDR.
Adding more subnets to extend your /29 (within the same CS network)
wouldn't make logical sense as your default gateway would have to be
different for each subnet, otherwise the subnet given to each VM would
isolate it from another /29 subnet which you have specified.

Can't you just create a new network for the extra addresses you need, with
the required CIDR and Gateway?

Marty

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 26.10.2013 16:13, Nux! wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In an Adv zone with shared network and SG is it possible to add
> multiple subnets per network? I've run out of a /29 and need to add
> more IPs, but can't find any option for this.

Opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-4968

Nux!
www.nux.ro