Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/04/27 12:58:49 UTC

Moving forward.

Hi all.

Board report for Q1 is behind us now and the negative articles (which we
knew would be the
consequence of being honest) are probably also behind us.

Time to think on the near future. Our next report is due in a little more
than 2 Months, I sure hope
we can make that positive and show that we are not dying (albeit having
difficulties).

I see a couple of items that need immediate attention:
- Define (in BZ) which incidents goes into version 4.1.2
- Make a patch, resolving the latest security issue which we published
- Appoint a release manager
- Get the test team ready to test a release candidate
- Prepare a meeting of openOffice projects (independent of their relation
to AOO)

Considering how long we have been talking about 4.1.2, it should be
possible to have the release
out before start of July.

Is anybody volunteering to head one or more of the above items ?

I am exploiting possibilities to fast forward our source code, but this a
not a short term action.

rgds
jan i.

Re: Moving forward.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 04/27/2015 03:58 AM, jan i wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Board report for Q1 is behind us now and the negative articles (which we
> knew would be the
> consequence of being honest) are probably also behind us.
>
> Time to think on the near future. Our next report is due in a little more
> than 2 Months, I sure hope
> we can make that positive and show that we are not dying (albeit having
> difficulties).
>
> I see a couple of items that need immediate attention:
> - Define (in BZ) which incidents goes into version 4.1.2
> - Make a patch, resolving the latest security issue which we published
> - Appoint a release manager
> - Get the test team ready to test a release candidate
> - Prepare a meeting of openOffice projects (independent of their relation
> to AOO)

Good to see this message!

Another item not included in this list, is buildbots setup we need to
create the binaries. We are still lacking the Mac buildbot, and CentOS
buildbots for 32- and 64-bit Linux. The 64-bit Linux does have a
volunteer, however.

A few weeks ago, I created a little pre-release doc --

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Pre-release+4.1.2+Planning

that I thought we could use to flesh out what we need to do for 4.1.2.

In any case, I will look into the 2nd item here, a patch or library
replacement for our recent vulnerability. I would also might be able to
help with the CentOS5 32-bit buildbot, but not until the latter part of
May. :(

> Considering how long we have been talking about 4.1.2, it should be
> possible to have the release
> out before start of July.
>
> Is anybody volunteering to head one or more of the above items ?
>
> I am exploiting possibilities to fast forward our source code, but this a
> not a short term action.

I'm not sure what this means.

RE: Moving forward.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1

Thanks Andreas,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
jan i wrote:
> Considering how long we have been talking about 4.1.2, it should be
> possible to have the release out before start of July.

I agree and this should be the priority. It's useless to discuss
articles (as bad and misleading they can be) more than real actions to take.

> Is anybody volunteering to head one or more of the above items ?

I had already started the first one "Define (in BZ) which incidents goes
into version 4.1.2"; I can set target 4.1.2 for the issues (instead of
setting them as Release Blocker, since this would require that they are
formally approved and only a few people can do that) and then provide a
list here with issue link, reason for it to appear in 4.1.2 and so on.
Note that so far I only listed fixed issues, so all of these are
existing and not theoretical.