Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org> on 2019/06/02 12:57:29 UTC

I like the idea of breaking PR discussions off, but if we're going to continue to copy PR comments onto Jira tickets it only makes sense if we have separate pr@ and issue@ lists. Also, we would have to stop copying them onto dev@ (which I would be fine with).

Ideally, I would like to see ticket _creation_ cc:ed onto dev@, so that any interested parties would be aware without having to set up notifications in Jira, but other ticket actions not cc:ed. I'm not sure if that's possible with our gear, but I'm sure INFRA can tell us.

ajs6f

Posted by Colin Gross <gr...@gmail.com>.
Yes.  This works for me as I already have filters that essentially do the
separation proposed pretty well.

Colin A. Gross

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Ok, we can see how it goes.

I'll kick off the VOTE for the minimal proposal in a moment.

     Andy

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Adam - where are we on this?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.

Well, I want the right discussion on dev@, not just less discussion. Now that I go back and look over the recent archives, it's not clear to me at all that if we drop all the duplication we are now getting because of Jira-GH-dev reflection that dev@ is actually too busy.

> So can you +1 the discussion now

Not yet, because it is not clear to me that this is the minimal improvement. (see below)

> Whatever we do, we can fine-tune later when we see how it works in practice.
>
>> I wouldn't subscribe to a pr@ list. GH's native service for that kind of communication is much better than any email list.
> (Though if you subscribe, can't you then choose not to have notifications direct?)

I'm not sure why I would want to use a clunky and less-functional (no reply-to to comment on PR, non-formatting-aware) email list instead of the more powerful _and_ more pleasant GH system. No offense meant to INFRA; they are amazing people who often accomplish more in an hour than I often do in a day, but a mailing list is no substitute for the sophisticated integration that GH has done for email notifications and PRs.

> Agreed. (But that's actually separate from splitting the dev@ list.)
> I checked and it does not happen in some other projects so it does look possible.
> Before I go and talk to infra, I do need to show its the PMC wanting to make changes.

That (getting traffic off Jira and thereby lowering the _duplicated_ traffic to dec@) is actually the major change that interests me. I am ready to +1 a change that reduces the duplication without doing anything else more then necessary. Are you willing to start with a smaller proposal?

1. Turn off auto-mirroring of all PR comments (which now starts once a ticket is mentioned) from GH to Jira. Perhaps it could be manually triggered per-comment by mentioning the ticket, or some other more "throttled" way, but of course we need to talk to INFRA to see what is possible.

and

2. Put PR comments on a separate pr@ list to record them.

I suspect that will reduce the dev@ traffic enough that we may not have to do anything else. No more PR comment ping-pong might mean no new issues@ list.

> I want to get to tickets as soon as possible. At the moment we have some ideas and next we can get some agreed general directions.
> e.g. new API in addition to a ported existing one?; or changes within the existing one?
> Tickets work best for getting taking a proposal through the details.  We need the proposal first. Otherwise tickets are a record of ideas with unclear commitment to progress.  Too many tickets dilutes discussion

I think our confusion is exactly over what a "proposal" is. From my POV, we already have bunch of proposals, just at different stages of detail. (see below re: concreteness)

As for the issue you specifically give as an example-- I'm a bit surprised. I had understood us to be specifically talking about a new API. I am much less interested in evolving the old one radically. To be clear, I don't mean that I want to throw it away or anything insane like that, just that in the new proposal space we have no reason to worry about backward compatibility. Of course we'll want to start abstractly with the current API because it is successful and encodes a lot of hard-earnt experience. But it's a new API that we are talking about in my mind.

All that having been said, I'm not able to step up with a bunch of volunteer hours right now ($job is becoming progressively less interested in semweb and less willing to allocate time for suchlike), so if the community feels that a stark new API is too ambitious, fair enough.

> You (ajs6f) put forward some general ideas (Nov 21) in other Model APIs and SPARQL - how about moving those into some thing more concrete , not necessary complete (!), so we can see where it leads to?

I don't understand what you want to see here before filing a ticket. Can you point at an example that is "more concrete, [but] not necessary complete" so I can get the sense of it? That would really help me.

Adam

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

On 09/12/2019 13:26, ajs6f wrote:

> GH notifications include the ability to reply via email to put a remark in the conversation. How will that work with this? IMO, that is important functionality that we can't throw away.

The change means emails go to a different list - we can leave reply-to
as "GitBox <gi...@apache.org>".

-------------

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.

I wouldn't subscribe to a pr@ list. GH's native service for that kind of communication is much better than any email list. But if keeping a separate list allows us to keep GH traffic off the main dev@ list and out of Jira, I'm +1 to that. Duplicating all PR comments onto the Jira issues has made Jira almost unusable for me. I can't page through screen after screen of nested email and GH quotes duplicating each other.

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.
+1  This change seems like it will make my life easier so I am in favor ;)

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Now would be a good time to get this done so we can have dev@ for
discussions.

Please yes/no/etc and when it settles down I'll run a vote.
When going to infra, we then have a definite PMC agreement to point to,
not some minority or rogue action.

On 19/11/2019 19:55, ajs6f@apache.org wrote:

> Andy, you've given a nice list of potential discussions and others have as
> well. My meta-question is when do we want to switch to tickets for this
> process? I don't want to smother discussion in process, but I find it very
> hard to follow a multithreaded discussion over email and I much prefer
> breaking things out early to more specifics.

Splitting the lists will make it easier. I think we switch to tickets
when there specific activities.  When sorting what the activities are,
there is benefit in using dev@ so we can see the interactions more
clearly. With a quieter dev@, sensible [] should mean anyone can see the
overall activity.  We can change this if it does not work out.

List proposal: