Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Ian Abreu <ia...@wayfair.com> on 2017/09/06 19:41:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] metron-config build failure on Centos 7

Hello all,

After spending a few days on it now, I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to build metron-config on Centos 7.

I've gone down the rabbit hole so far as to believe that it's a problem with npm and dependencies for whatever reason not installing properly, but I'm posting here in the hopes that someone else knows what I'm doing wrong.

I've posted most of my progress here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-914

But here are the highlights..

Trying to build on centos 7, after adhering to the advice here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-1112
I attempt to build and receive the following errors...

[ERROR] npm ERR! Linux 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64
[ERROR] npm ERR! argv "/root/metron/metron-interface/metron-config/node/node" "/root/metron/metron-interface/metron-config/node/node_modules/npm/bin/npm-cli.js" "install"
[ERROR] npm ERR! node v6.2.0
[ERROR] npm ERR! npm  v3.8.9
[ERROR] npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
[ERROR]
[ERROR] npm ERR! execSync@1.0.2 install: `node install.js`
[ERROR] npm ERR! Exit status 1
[ERROR] npm ERR!
[ERROR] npm ERR! Failed at the execSync@1.0.2 install script 'node install.js'.
[ERROR] npm ERR! Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
[ERROR] npm ERR! If you do, this is most likely a problem with the execSync package,
[ERROR] npm ERR! not with npm itself.
[ERROR] npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
[ERROR] npm ERR!     node install.js
[ERROR] npm ERR! You can get information on how to open an issue for this project with:
[ERROR] npm ERR!     npm bugs execSync
[ERROR] npm ERR! Or if that isn't available, you can get their info via:
[ERROR] npm ERR!     npm owner ls execSync
[ERROR] npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

Which appears to be an NPM problem. I've gone ahead and tried to troubleshoot by setting my $node_path to the local modules dir, and a few other things, but the only thing that seemed to change any sort of state was when I setup an inotify on a module's folder as hinted at by one of my logs.

Error: Cannot find module '/root/metron/metron-interface/metron-config/node_modules/codecov/node_modules/execSync/install.js'

So I setup an inotify trigger, and pulled in that module as soon as the parent directory was created, and I received the following:

Error: Cannot find module '/root/metron/metron-interface/metron-config/node_modules/codecov/node_modules/execSync/install.js'

Notice the path change, after copying the same module to that path, it changed to yet another module:

[ERROR] Error: Cannot find module '/root/metron/metron-interface/metron-config/node_modules/angular2-template-loader/node_modules/execSync/install.js'

I'm beginning to think that there's something wrong with the locally instantiated npm binary on centos 7 for the build process.

It should be noted that I'm building using 'mvn clean package -Dskiptests'

Anyone else got any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers,
Ian

RE: [DISCUSS] metron-config build failure on Centos 7

Posted by Ian Abreu <ia...@wayfair.com>.
Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but the problem was that NPM was failing silently due to me running the build as root.

Cheers!
Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.