Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Levi Rosol <le...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/26 18:57:52 UTC

VSS and Sharepoint

The company I work for currently uses VSS for src control. We have tossed
around the idea of using SVN for the past year or so, and it looks like we
will be making the commitment in the next couple of weeks. Are there any
good scripts/URLs for migrating from VSS to SVN?

While going through our latest round of questions with the group, a question
came up about replacing Sharepoint with SVN. The reason this question was
asked was because we only use sharepoint for its file mgmt abilities and the
versioning. Most of the docs in sharepoint are word, excel, ppt and pdf
files. The problem with sharepoint is that we have a large number of Mac
users here who cannot access sharepoint. That, and we figure if svn is so go
at managing files, why not see if we can replace sharepoint.

So my question is, are there any GUI's designed with a business user in
mind? Sure, we could use tortise, but i think that's a bit to technical for
the group of people we are trying to help. Seems like a simple enough app to
write over SVN, so i'm guessing there may be some options out there.

--
Levi Rosol
http://blogbylevi.iveldesigns.com

Re: VSS and Sharepoint

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:24 PM -0400 Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The first tool that comes to mind is http://vss2svn.tigris.org/

And follow the link in the red box to here:

<http://www.pumacode.org/projects/vss2svn>

I recommend joining the vss2svn mailing list. The "pinhandler" branch under
development is the most mature version, but still doen't work universally.
If your VSS repo is straightforward, you should have no trouble converting
it. (I'm trying to figure out why a WC checked out from my huge and complex
VSS repo doesn't quite match one from the converted repo.) The archaic
version of the converter in the tigris download area is very deprecated.

Re: VSS and Sharepoint

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 7/26/06, Levi Rosol <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The company I work for currently uses VSS for src control. We have tossed
> around the idea of using SVN for the past year or so, and it looks like we
> will be making the commitment in the next couple of weeks. Are there any
> good scripts/URLs for migrating from VSS to SVN?

The first tool that comes to mind is http://vss2svn.tigris.org/

> So my question is, are there any GUI's designed with a business user in
> mind? Sure, we could use tortise, but i think that's a bit to technical for
> the group of people we are trying to help. Seems like a simple enough app to
> write over SVN, so i'm guessing there may be some options out there.

TSVN really is first-rate, but because it's an Explorer shell
extension, it won't work on the Macs you have.  I think it's worth
trying to teach folks how to use it - the basics really aren't that
tough, and if you set it up for them with the main features they need
immediately on the context menu (not on the TSVN sub-menu), they
shouldn't have too much trouble. I'm not familiar with SharePoint, but
compare its check in/check out (and related) workflow against SVN's -
it probably isn't dramatically different.

You may want to also look at WebDAV w/ Autoversioning - basically you
can mount the repository as a drive, via the WebDAV protocol.  Then
users can access it just like any other mapped drive, and it's
transparent.  The downsides there are that you don't get log messages,
and if you're working on a file right on the drive, every save creates
a new version (I'm sure there are other gotchas as well - it might be
easier to clobber someone's changes than it is using a regular
client).  That, and I couldn't make it work when I tried it.

Re: VSS and Sharepoint

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Posted by Eric Lemes <er...@gmail.com>.
Levi,

I'm a happy VSS-to-SVN user. I recently migrated some bases (Visual Studio
2003 development) and all the users are satisfied. I recommend you do that.
I tried to do some imports with vss2svn. Some worked, other not. I think the
VSS corrupt bases don't like to be exported.

Sharepoint has another critical issue, that's making us thinking about
leaving it. It keeps only the 10 last versions of the docs. I don't know
why... I didn't think about a replacement yet, but I think some other issue
tracking and/or project management tools might help.

I had some non-techical users using documents in CVS/TortoiseCVS. It's very
similar. I didn't had some terrible problems, but I think Mac will be yours.

Eric Lemes