Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Scherer Pierre <sc...@ibelgique.com> on 2003/01/30 15:25:14 UTC

User-Log

Hi,

I search, in the james code, the place where i must init. my loggers for do
some user-logging(size mail,sender...)!
I suppose that there is a class that init all loggers.

do you use Log4J to define logger, appender,... ?

I would like also use the tool log5factor (GUI that show statistcs about log
maked) and to give the possibilty at an administrator to run this
application when the server is up. Where, in the code, must I place my class
(Java Event).

Have a nice day

Pierre

RE: User-Log

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> In fact, I don't understand the process that matches maillet name and
> declaration in the XML file James-server

James uses Avalon logging.  Mailets, however, do not have fine grained
logging support in James v2.  Better logging is proposed for James v3, with
a revision of the Mailet API.

There are things that you could do to work around it, if necessary.
Basically, roll your own logging, or make some changes to access the
underlying Avalon infrastructure.

	--- Noel

RE: User-Log

Posted by Scherer Pierre <sc...@ibelgique.com>.

In fact, I don't understand the process that matches maillet name and
declaration in the XML file James-server

Supose I write a mailet(SenderLog) and place it in the repertory transport.
The goal of this is to do log (in exemple put all names of senders in a file
Sender.log)
What does I write in the XML File.

I think that must be something like that(between !!!!!) but realy not sure!

<category name="James.Mailet" log-level="INFO">
        <log-target id-ref="James-Mailet-target"/>
      </category>
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<category name="James.Mailet-SenderLog" log-level="INFO">
        <log-target id-ref="SenderLog"/>
      </category>
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<category name="James" log-level="INFO">
        <log-target id-ref="James-target"/>
      </category>

and, ....

<file id="SenderLog">
        <filename>${app.home}/logs/Sender.log</filename>
        <format>%{time:dd/MM/yy HH:mm:ss} %5.5{priority} %{category}:
%{message}\n%{throwable}</format>
        <append>true</append>
      </file>

Also, I don't realy understand in the documentation the utility of the tag
'append'

Thanks a lot for futur informations

-Pierre