Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/21 11:30:49 UTC

maven-component-it-plugin, what is it, what does it do?

the assembly plugin is using it, it looks like to stage the plugin for
it testing.

Is this plugin coming out of the sandbox at some stage and be documented?

I have no idea how to use it, etc.

Re: maven-component-it-plugin, what is it, what does it do?

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 4/23/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> > What's the best way to sort out communication amongst interested
> > parties?
> >

> Asking here, but if you're not going to have time to actually develop
> then it's really a matter of waiting until we start working on it again.
>
> > My first problem was alerting the people that were interested and then
> > trying to help out.
> >
> > No point doing work someone else was already working on.
> >
> > I have no idea where things stand now, other than being interested in
> > writing plugin integration tests. I'm happy to help out, but dont have
> > the capacity to drive it.

I have capacity to:
* document usage
* raise and fix bugs.
* make enhancements

I do not have capacity for major development.

As noted, I've started to look at the maven-assembly-plugin usage pattern.

Hopefully I can get something from that and work with Kenney and John
to unify the plugin integration approach.

Re: maven-component-it-plugin, what is it, what does it do?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 22 Apr 07, at 7:30 PM 22 Apr 07, Barrie Treloar wrote:

> On 4/22/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I was going to take a stab at writing the definitive "how to write
>> plugin integration tests" document when I did it for surefire (after
>> I get back from holidays.... still another week + conferences to go
>> yet :) I'm not going to complain if someone starts it first :)
>>
>> Between yourself, Brian, John and I (maybe others, those are the
>> names I've noticed discussing it recently), we should be able to pull
>> this together for everyone to use.
>>
>> As I understood it, there were still problems with this approach -
>> that it was slow? We'll need both a unit testing (cleaned up plugin
>> harness) and integration testing (invoker based) solution, then.
>> There is also the list of stuff in SVN under the integration tests
>> which is highly related.
>>
>> Did I catch everything?
>
> Oooo.
>
> I pestered Jason directly since he started the email trail to organise
> something like this.

I have only focused on Maven ITs themselves though the verifiers/
invokers apply to both John has the most invested in plugin testing
itself at this point, Kenney also has some tools. The plugin-testing-
harness is going bye bye.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I'm also highly interested in this and can help out. I found when
writing the dependency plugin that I needed to write a lot of mock
objects. The nice thing about Maven is that almost everything is an
interface, which makes it fairly trivial to implement anything you need
to fully exercise your code. Some handy things like stub factories to
create artifacts or dependencies would be nice. In fact, I have a pretty
large set of them already between dependency and enforcer that could be
shared.

I think missing from the various invoker scenarios is an easy way to
control settings in a generic way and to deal with pretend remote and
local repositories.

I found the plugin harness wasn't entirely useful. It required the
overhead of creating poms like the invoker, but didn't seem to set my
parameters correctly. I ended up using the harness to get a mojo and
then just used setters to control the various inputs directly in my
tests. It made it much easier to deal with all the permutations that
way.

I was going to take a stab at writing the definitive "how to write
plugin integration tests" document when I did it for surefire (after
I get back from holidays.... still another week + conferences to go
yet :) I'm not going to complain if someone starts it first :)

Between yourself, Brian, John and I (maybe others, those are the
names I've noticed discussing it recently), we should be able to pull
this together for everyone to use.

As I understood it, there were still problems with this approach -
that it was slow? We'll need both a unit testing (cleaned up plugin
harness) and integration testing (invoker based) solution, then.
There is also the list of stuff in SVN under the integration tests
which is highly related.

Did I catch everything?

- Brett

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 4/21/07, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The code out of svn for maven-invoker is broken:
Needs
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
      <artifactId>maven-artifact</artifactId>
      <version>2.0.5</version>
    </dependency>
added

Re: maven-component-it-plugin, what is it, what does it do?

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 4/21/07, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the assembly plugin is using it, it looks like to stage the plugin for
> it testing.
>
> Is this plugin coming out of the sandbox at some stage and be documented?
>
> I have no idea how to use it, etc.

The source for these snapshots was not deployed.

The code out of svn for maven-invoker is broken:
[INFO] Compilation failure

C:\ide\workspace-Finance\maven-invoker\src\main\java\org\apache\maven\shared\invoker\InvocationRequest.java:[24,44]
package org.apache.maven.artifact.
repository does not exist

C:\ide\workspace-Finance\maven-invoker\src\main\java\org\apache\maven\shared\invoker\InvocationRequest.java:[83,47]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable ArtifactRepositoryPolicy
location: interface org.apache.maven.shared.invoker.InvocationRequest

C:\ide\workspace-Finance\maven-invoker\src\main\java\org\apache\maven\shared\invoker\InvocationRequest.java:[85,47]