Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by "A. Soroka" <aj...@eservices.virginia.edu> on 2012/03/01 23:00:44 UTC

Stanbol on Karaf?

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by Dave butlerdi <bu...@gmail.com>.
I am also having this problem. I also noticed a significant increase in
heap space.

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Thanks! I'm having the devil of a time building ContentHub, because the LDPath artifacts switched today to use the ".bundle" file extension in their Maven repo. I'm getting messages such as you see below my sig. Is anyone else seeing this problem?

- ---
A. Soroka
Software & Systems Engineering :: Online Library Environment
the University of Virginia Library

Failed to execute goal on project org.apache.stanbol.contenthub.ldpath: Could not resolve dependencies for project org.apache.stanbol:org.apache.stanbol.contenthub.ldpath:bundle:0.9.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT: Could not find artifact at.newmedialab.ldpath:ldpath-core-bundle:jar:0.9.5-20120307.140506-9 in kiwi-snapshot-repo (http://devel.kiwi-project.eu:8080/nexus/content/repositories/snapshots/

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by Ali Anil Sinaci <a....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Re: Stanbol Default Configuration (was: Stanbol on Karaf?)

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Re: Stanbol Default Configuration

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
created an issue for that

    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STANBOL-529

I will start to migrate the entityhub to the new system in the coming weeks.

best
Rupert

Posted by Ali Anil Sinaci <a....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

it sounds reasonable to me to keep the configuration within a
component and allow flexible customization of that config.

+1

Am 7. März 2012 08:49 schrieb Rupert Westenthaler
<ru...@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> Note this question from A. Soroka:
>
> On 06.03.2012, at 23:07, ajs6f@virginia.edu wrote:
>
>> Some questions I feel emboldened to ask: would it perhaps be better for that "startup config" to be associated with the EntityHub service itself (and not the launchers), or would that be too direct a dependence? I can certainly imagine wanting to use a Clerezza Yard instead, or a remote Solr instance, or some other arrangement, but might it not be better to have everything the EntityHub service needs come with the bundlelist/feature repository itself?
>
> Maybe an own "o.a.s.{component}.defaults" module that uses [1] to provide the default configuration for the {component}.
>
> This would have the following advantages against the current solution (adding all the defaults to the 'resources/config' folder of the launcher)
>
> * It would allow us to manage the default config within an component (e.g. enhancer, entityhub, contenthub …).
> * the defaults-module could be added to the bundle list of that component
> * users that do not want to use the default config could just exclude the "o.a.s.{component}.defaults" bundle and provide their own configuration.
> * uninstalling "o.a.s.{component}.defaults" would cause the default configuration to be removed.
> * we would no longer need to duplicate the defaults for the different launchers.
>
> WDYT
> Rupert
>
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/trunk/commons/installer/bundleprovider/README.md

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Stanbol Default Configuration (was: Stanbol on Karaf?)

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
On 06.03.2012, at 21:09, ajs6f@virginia.edu wrote:

> 5) After getting the Stanbol Commons and EntityHub up and started, I had to manually configure the EntityHub's own Yard. This wasn't difficult, but it's not totally clear to me why the bundles didn't do this on activation.

The configuration of the SolrYard used by the Entityhub itself is provided by the default configuration of the Sling launcher.

    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/trunk/launchers/stable/src/main/resources/resources/config/org.apache.stanbol.entityhub.yard.solr.impl.SolrYard-entityhub.config

Are you sure that the configurations included in the Sling Launcher are loaded by Karaf?

best
Rupert

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Just a check in:

Things are looking good. I've the EntityHub up and running in Karaf 2.2.5 using the Felix framework, and it was fairly easy. I'll give a few notes here on the way to writing up something more substantive after I've got the complete 'stable' suite up.

1) The Sling Launchpad Maven plugin went nowheresville for making Karaf feature repositories. I'm sure it does work and work well, but for me, I couldn't get over a NullPointer exception when it went looking for an unnamed properties file. Googling and a quick glance at the code got me no further, so I decided to hack it for now and come back to Maven later. Of course, for a "sustainable" solution, I'll have to engage the Maven build.

2) I decided to just run XSL stylesheets against the Sling bundlelists to make Karaf feature lists. This is not a good approach for any length of time, but time marches on and so do I, so I wanted to try to get something up and running.

3) I dropped the OSGi framework bundlelist entirely, because the only things I needed from it were the Felix webconsole, which is available as a Karaf feature, an OSGi DS implementation (I picked Felix's, for obvious reasons) and an HTTP service (again, I chose Felix's).

4) I ran into an issue with Jersey. It uses the SPI machinery to configure itself, which does not make OSGi resolution happy. It's a known issue, although I don't know whether the Jersey folks actually consider it a problem. The quickest way forward was just to copy the jersey-server META-INF/services directory into the Stanbol o.a.s.commons.web.base bundle. Again, a hack, but I thought it better not to trouble too much about Jersey while issues like:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STANBOL-352

are in play.

5) After getting the Stanbol Commons and EntityHub up and started, I had to manually configure the EntityHub's own Yard. This wasn't difficult, but it's not totally clear to me why the bundles didn't do this on activation.

And now I'm happily moving entities in and out of the Hub! The REST API is functional.

Now I'm moving on to the other parts of the 'stable' suite.

Thanks for the help so far!

- ---

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Just a further note-- I was able to get all of the services in the 'full' suite up and running in Karaf except for CMSAdaptor and ContentHub. I'll check back with those after the LDPath-related build issues are resolved.

I also managed to get the Sling Launchpad Maven plugin working over the Stanbol source (except for the launchers, which still suffer from odd missing properties files problems). Unfortunately, what I get after doing this is not a well-structured set of feature repositories, but repositories with enormous numbers of bundles and not much awareness of transitivity outside the individual services, so that (for example) bundles that appear in Stanbol Commons also appear over and over again in the repositories for individual services. It's not clear to me how far it's worth going down that road, unless I can find a way to make the relationships more explicit and therefore available to the Sling plugin.

- ---

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
On 06.03.2012, at 21:55, ajs6f@virginia.edu wrote:

> Okay, I have the 'stable' suite up, with one exception: the Enhancer engine Refactor. I could not install it because it depends on OntoNet:
>
> Unresolved constraint in bundle org.apache.stanbol.enhancer.engines.refactor [505]: Unable to resolve 505.0: missing requirement [505.0] package; (package=org.apache.stanbol.ontologymanager.ontonet.api)

The refactor engine is not supposed to work within the stable launcher because it depends on the Ontonet and Rule modules that are not included in the stable launcher.

I think it was added to the Enhancer bundle list because it's an Enhancement Engine. However it should be rather part of the Rules bundle list.

> I'll try it again after I have the 'full' suite up. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be the case?

If you add the dependencies of the Ontonet Rule (and may be Reasoning) bundle lists the RefactorEngine should work just fine.

> In the meantime, I'm going to take a second look at the Sling Launchpad Maven plugin, since deployment to Karaf, if it is to be supported, must be integrated in a sensible way with the build machinery and this seems like the obvious first thing to try. Any advice from anyone who has successfully used it would be welcome! {grin}

thx great work!

best
Ruepert

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
On 06.03.2012, at 21:12, ajs6f@virginia.edu wrote:

> I should mentioned that I pulled out the Sling installer bundles as you suggested and had no trouble from it. Sling just assumed to use the working directory to install a home, so it's sitting there right in my Karaf home. Stanbol chose the same location for the SolrYard indexes. I'll try passing in sling.home as suggested to make sure that that's adjustable, but I'm not sure what to do about the indexes.

The directory for the "indexes" directory can be configured for the ManagedSolrServer (o.a.s.commons.solr.managed.impl.ManagedSolrServerImpl)

The directory for the data files folder can be changed in the configuration of the MainDataFileProvider (o.a.s.commons.stanboltools.datafileprovider.impl.MainDataFileProvider)

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

This is extremely helpful! Thank you.

I'll be looking at this Karaf question over the next week or two, and of course anything I discover will come back to the community. After all, this is open source! {grin}

I think I'll start with the 'stable' configuration. If I can get that working, 'full' shouldn't be too much further.

- ---

Re: Stanbol on Karaf?

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi