Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Matthew Ryan <ma...@matthewryan.info> on 2006/01/29 00:13:41 UTC

Problem deploying Simplest Portlet

Hi,

I just gave this tutorial a go and found trouble deploying the Portlet.
Any ideas? Maybe someone else has had this problem.

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/guides/guide-simple-portlet.html

Found web.xml
ERROR: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: WEB-INF/portlet.xml
org.apache.jetspeed.deployment.DeploymentException:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: WEB-INF/portlet.xml
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.deployment.impl.DeployPortletAppEventListener.deployPortletApplication(DeployPortletAppEventListener.java:173)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.deployment.impl.DeployPortletAppEventListener.invokeDeploy(DeployPortletAppEventListener.java:158)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.deployment.impl.StandardDeploymentManager.dispatch(StandardDeploymentManager.java:257)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.deployment.impl.StandardDeploymentManager.deploy(StandardDeploymentManager.java:168)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.deployment.impl.StandardDeploymentManager.fireDeploymentEvent(StandardDeploymentManager.java:202)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.deployment.impl.StandardDeploymentManager$FileSystemScanner.run(StandardDeploymentManager.java:342)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: WEB-INF/portlet.xml
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.tools.deploy.JetspeedDeploy.<init>(JetspeedDeploy.java:142)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.deployment.impl.DeployPortletAppEventListener.deployPortletApplication(DeployPortletAppEventListener.java:168)
        ... 5 more
ERROR: Failure deploying
E:\dev\servers\jetspeed2.0\webapps\jetspeed\WEB-INF\deploy\simplest.war

The portal.xml is straight from the tutorial on the above link.

I have JDK 1.5 and Jetspeed 2 off the download link on the project main
page.

Thanks

Matthew

Re: Problem deploying Simplest Portlet

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
The war should not contain the portlet-api-1.0.jar, if this is the
case please remove it. In the 2.0 and the latest source there is no
deploy time error. 'Cannot create Portlet instance Simplest for
Portlet Application simplest' is displayed at runtime. Otherwise, I
can't reproduce your error.

Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy
Office: +33 5 56 60 88 02
Mobile: +33 6 20 83 22 62

Re: Problem deploying Simplest Portlet

Posted by Matthew Ryan <ma...@matthewryan.info>.
Hi Frank,

Posted by Frank Villarreal <f_...@tetco.com>.
Ryan,

Posted by Matthew Ryan <ma...@matthewryan.info>.
Hi Philip,

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthew,

I tried this tutorial with the Jetspeed2.0-derby-install.jar using
jdk-1.5.0_06. All went well. There was a change to the documentation
where the psml was missing the xml header. I have to admit that I was
having difficulties with this because I am running two different
jdk's. Which jdk are you using? I'll try later on windows.

Philip

On 1/29/06, Matthew Ryan <ma...@matthewryan.info> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> I ripped out all the carriage returns and the same problem remained......
>
> Now I'm not sure.
>
> Matt
>

> Frank Villarreal wrote:
> > Hi Ryan,
> >
> > Not sure if this is your problem, but when I first attempted to deploy a new
> > portlet war file into the jetspeed2-final portal on Windows, I ran into
> > problems with "illegal" characters in my "portlet.xml" file.  This turned
> > out to be the age old problem where some piece of code deep down (in this
> > case the xml parser) doesn't process Windows OS carriage returns correctly.
> > I'm guessing the strictness of the xml parsing/parser in the JDK1.5 is
> > different. Anyway, I didn't have this problem with the previous milestone
> > releases on JDK1.4x. I solved this by downloading some obscure text editor
> > that was capable of viewing these invisible characters so that I coud remove
> > them.  After that, I was able to deploy my portlet application into
> > jetspeed.
> >
> > - Frank

Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy