Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com> on 2001/10/21 18:17:09 UTC

Behavior of relative to portlets, users, and customization

Below is the current behavior of the <security> tag regarding portlets,
users, and customization.  This description is limited to the
<portlet-entry> and does NOT include the <parameter> tag.

I post this to clarify the current behavior.

****
* Results
****

As a part to the testing I ended up with the follow:
  Roles:
    clerk_1      - No permissions assigned.
    clerk_2      - No permissions assigned.
    manager_1    - No permissions assigned.
    manager_2    - No permissions assigned.
    pr_customize - Only the customize permission assigned
    pr_close     - Only the close permission assigned
    pr_minimize  - Only the minimize permission assigned
    pr_view      - Only the view permission assigned

  Users:
    store_manager     - Roles assigned: clerk_1, manager_1, clerk_2
                        o This user can see manager_1, clerk_1, and
                          clerk_2 portlets ( The user is a manager
                          in the store, but a clerk in the warehouse)
                        o Desired behavior: This user can change the
                          appearance of portlets with manager_1 role
                          and view portlets with a role of manager_2,
                          clerk_1, clerk_2, or no role

    store_clerk        - Roles assigned: clerk_1
                        o This user should NOT be able to change
                          the appearance of any portlets.
                        o Desired behavior: This user can view
                          portlets with a role of clerk_1 or portlets
                          with no role assigned

    warehouse_manager - Roles assigned: clerk_1, clerk_2, manager_2
                        o This user can see manager_2, clerk_2, and
                          clerk_1 portlets ( The use is a manager
                          in the warehouse, but a clerk in the store)
                        o Desired behavior: This user can change the
                          appearance of portlets with manager_2 role
                          and view portlets with a role of manager_1,
                          clerk_1, clerk_2, or no role

    warehouse_clerk    - Roles assigned: clerk_2
                        o This user should NOT be able to change
                          the appearance of any portlets.
                        o Desired behavior: This user can view
                          portlets with a role of clerk_2 or portlets
                          with no role assigned

  Portlets:
    general_info          - Role assigned: (none)
    store_stock_edit      - Role assigned: manager_1
    store_stock_view      - Role assigned: clerk_1
    warehouse_stock_edit  - Role assigned: manager_2
    warehouse_stock_view  - Role assigned: clerk_2

Behavior:
1) The customizer will limit the portlets available to:
   o Portlets with no <security> tag
     Example: All user can select the general_info portlet

   o Portlets that have a role defined in the <security> tag that
     matches a role assigned to the user AND the user has customize
     permissions, via to ANY role assigned to the user
     Example: The store_clerk can select the store_stock_view
              portlet, but not the store_stock_edit portlet

2) The portlet title bar icons (Minimize, Maximize, Customize, and
Close)
   will be displayed when:
   o The portlet with no <security> tag
     Example: All icons are displayed on the general_info portlet

   o The portlet has a <security> tag and the user has the
     associated permissions in one of the user's roles
     Example: The close icon will only be displayed on ALL
              portlets if the user is assigned the role pr_close

3) Portlet types apply permission differently!
   o Only HTML portlet requires view to see the content

Paul Spencer

Re: Behavior of relative to portlets, users, and customization

Posted by Frans Thamura <ft...@yahoo.com>.
Dear David,

I cannot login to the "demo" account in your server. There is no account
named "demo"

There is a error in the server, and i prefer you install the jetspeed.war
again?

Frans

Posted by Mehmet Necati AYSAN <ne...@hotmail.com>.
Hi

Are there any alternatives for Jetspeed free or/and commercial?

Thanks

Necati

RE: Database PSML

Posted by Anthony Smith <an...@fedex.com>.
Paul can have it.

Posted by Atul Dambalkar <ad...@cisco.com>.
Hi Paul,

Re: Database PSML

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
Atul,

Re: Database PSML

Posted by Atul Dambalkar <ad...@cisco.com>.

Re: Database PSML

Posted by Atul Dambalkar <ad...@cisco.com>.

RE: Database PSML

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Atul contributed a database psml implementation a while back, its in the cvs
under services/psmlmanager/DatabasePsmlManagerService.java.

Database PSML

Posted by Frans Thamura <ft...@yahoo.com>.
This is my script to disable the customization for specific protlet. This
script is working well in my PC.

But, May be some one can copy a portlet information from xreg to .psml, and
copy this "_action" element.

SAmple
<entry parent="http://www.xmlhack.com/rsscat.php">
    <parameter name="_action" value="min,max,edit"/>
            <parameter name="showdescription" value="false"/>
            <layout>
                <property name="column" value="0"/>
                <property name="row" value="0"/>
            </layout>
        </entry>

This information will show the min, max and edit only, a user cannot delete
it.

See the AbstractPortlet.java for more detail

Frans

Posted by Mark Orciuch <ma...@ngsltd.com>.
I updated my CVS tree few moments ago and received the following error
during build:

compile:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file to C:\jakarta-jetspeed\bin\classes
    [javac]
C:\jakarta-jetspeed\src\java\org\apache\jetspeed\modules\actions\por
tlets\StockQuoteAction.java:70: Ambiguous class:
org.apache.jetspeed.util.String
Utils and org.apache.turbine.util.StringUtils
    [javac] import org.apache.jetspeed.util.StringUtils;
    [javac]        ^
    [javac] 1 error

I can probably deal with this error on my own, but I thought I'd point it
out.

We have an existing intranet portal based on jetspeed 1.3-a1. We are in
process of synchronizing with the current jetspeed build. Since we've added
a variety of new features this will not be a trivial task (I'm starting to
realize that now). Although we did not modify any of the original jetspeed
code a lot of the functionality has changed which affected our custom code.

Once I get in synch, what would be the best approach to minimize the process
of such code synchronization in the future. For now, I have subscribed to
Jetspeed Developer list to keep track of the daily developments but I'm
wondering if someone else has any other advice.

Best regards,

Mark C. Orciuch
IT Consultant
Voice: 219-647-4122
e-Mail: mark_orciuch@ngsltd.com

RE: Behavior of relative to portlets, users, and customization

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Frans Thamura <ft...@yahoo.com>.
For this current version 1.3a2.. you must modify the AbstractPortlet and a
class that copy a portlet information from xreg to your psml.

I still working on it, and may be need help..

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Paul,