Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2012/08/07 10:46:36 UTC

[2.X] Null object returned for root

Hi all mates!

Congrats first for the 2.0 release - even if alpha, this is something
we all ASF friends were waiting for! :)

I am now trying to migrate a small app from slf4j+logback to log4j2
and I should have not understood well how new stuff work because I
obtain the error as in the subject.

This is my new log4j2.xml[1] file and then I just use the APIs.

When the app starts, I get the following stacktrace:

Null object returned for root
	at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.BaseConfiguration.createPluginObject(BaseConfiguration.java:589)
	at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.BaseConfiguration.createConfiguration(BaseConfiguration.java:452)
	at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.BaseConfiguration.doConfigure(BaseConfiguration.java:148)
	at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.BaseConfiguration.start(BaseConfiguration.java:108)
	at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.setConfiguration(LoggerContext.java:202)
	at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.reconfigure(LoggerContext.java:218)
	at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.start(LoggerContext.java:109)
	at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.impl.Log4jContextFactory.getContext(Log4jContextFactory.java:81)
	at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.impl.Log4jContextFactory.getContext(Log4jContextFactory.java:30)
	at org.apache.logging.log4j.LogManager.getLogger(LogManager.java:129)

What did I miss?

Many thanks in advance, all the best!
-Simo

[1] https://gist.github.com/3283384

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [2.X] Null object returned for root

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Absolutely.  Error handling in general probably needs attention.

Ralph

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Ralph!

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Cool, thanks to you Ralph!

I am going to rebuilt it locally and have a test session.

Have a nice day, all the best!
-Simo

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.