Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl> on 2003/04/11 09:50:05 UTC

Re: New Powered by Logo

michal.maczka wrote:
> I have question related to new "Powered By" Logo.

> Why is uses the symbol of communism?

> So for some people is could be rather offensive.

I agree that obvious hints at communism in the logo may be considered
offensive by some people out here in the east. People that never
suffered from it tend to have certain amount of sentiment towards
communism that I don't quite understand...

Communism related logos have been used by software project before,
as you may see by clicking Help>About Mozilla in your favourite
browser :-) I know that has caused vigorious flamewars in the Mozilla
community.

At this moment I regret not having cast a vote. I think the logo that
won has a neat idea in it (offensive, or not) but rather poor artwork,
compared to the other entries. Having said that I din't vote, the best I
can do about it is shut up :-)

The good part is that even if the Maven site itself will feature the
poor-artwork logo, that some people might find offensive, my own Maven
build sites need not to. All that is needed is entering the following
incantation into project.properties:

maven.xdoc.poweredby.image=maven-button-1.png

And your site will have an image that *you* like.

R.