Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/29 20:39:41 UTC

First attempt at January2013 report template

I've used my improved clutch2report.py tool to push a template for
January 2013. It includes some extra bits to help me (or anyone else)
notice missing signoffs and reports.

Of course, it uses the clutch as of today.

Would folks prefer that I wipe this out until closer to the event, or
should I leave it?

Re: First attempt at January2013 report template

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
David Crossley wrote on Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 16:40:11 +1100:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
> > David Crossley kirjoitti:
> > >
> > > It all requires podlings to keep the project metadata up-to-date!
> > > Clutch can only use the data that it is fed. The poor state of
> > > the metadata has many ramifications.
> > >
> > > The main laggards are "graduated" projects.
> > >
> > > That behaviour will cause similar issues when they are TLPs.
> >
> > True, though we should always remember that we are here primarily to write
> > great open source software and help others do so, not to maintain
> > impeccable project metadata.
> >
> > The main beneficiaries of good podling metadata are the IPMC and the tools
> > we use to guide Incubator processes, while the podlings themselves gain
> > little direct value from updating Incubator records.
>
> I see that main ASF Infra are starting to utlilise the podling
> metadata for setting up the TLP resources.

Infra only uses the status='current' attribute of podlings.xml.

That said, we use it once in a script that podlings need to use when
they enter (mlreq), and once in a script the podlings use when they
graduate (no UI name).  So podlings have an incentive to keep the
'status' attribute up-to-date both at creation and at graduation.

Re: First attempt at January2013 report template

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> David Crossley kirjoitti:
> >
> > It all requires podlings to keep the project metadata up-to-date!
> > Clutch can only use the data that it is fed. The poor state of
> > the metadata has many ramifications.
> >
> > The main laggards are "graduated" projects.
> >
> > That behaviour will cause similar issues when they are TLPs.
>
> True, though we should always remember that we are here primarily to write
> great open source software and help others do so, not to maintain
> impeccable project metadata.
>
> The main beneficiaries of good podling metadata are the IPMC and the tools
> we use to guide Incubator processes, while the podlings themselves gain
> little direct value from updating Incubator records.

I see that main ASF Infra are starting to utlilise the podling
metadata for setting up the TLP resources.

So it may also affect the projects directly, and cause
unnecessary work for other volunteers.

> Thus I rather feel thankful to the podlings and mentors that do find the
> time to maintain our records, and instead of casting blame would love to
> see us helping those that find the overhead too much.

We need to keep encouraging them to see the value for all,
by being interested in the management of their own project.

-David

Re: First attempt at January2013 report template

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

1.1.2013 3.36 "David Crossley" <cr...@apache.org> kirjoitti:
> It all requires podlings to keep the project metadata up-to-date!
> Clutch can only use the data that it is fed. The poor state of
> the metadata has many ramifications.
>
> The main laggards are "graduated" projects.
>
> That behaviour will cause similar issues when they are TLPs.

True, though we should always remember that we are here primarily to write
great open source software and help others do so, not to maintain
impeccable project metadata.

The main beneficiaries of good podling metadata are the IPMC and the tools
we use to guide Incubator processes, while the podlings themselves gain
little direct value from updating Incubator records.

Thus I rather feel thankful to the podlings and mentors that do find the
time to maintain our records, and instead of casting blame would love to
see us helping those that find the overhead too much.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: First attempt at January2013 report template

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Fixed that. Some python months are zero-based, and others1-based.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Looks good.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29 December 2012 23:42, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Christian Grobmeier
> <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Benson Margulies
>> <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes. I can make a TOC go tick. No links, because the eventual board
>>> delivery is plain text.
>>
>> I would enjoy that very much, even without clickable links
>
> there is a TOC in the latest posted version.
>
> Keep those suggestions coming :-)

There is a list of podlings grouped by Shepherd.
Might also be useful to show the Shepherd against each podling, e.g.
in the TOC list or in the "Shepherd notes:" heading.
Or both - TOC entry would show if there are any missing shepherds, and
note section would show who wrote the notes.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: First attempt at January2013 report template

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
I like these templates.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Sort Order Is Repaired.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Dec 29, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> I've used my improved clutch2report.py tool to push a template for
> January 2013. It includes some extra bits to help me (or anyone else)
> notice missing signoffs and reports.
>
> Of course, it uses the clutch as of today.
>
> Would folks prefer that I wipe this out until closer to the event, or
> should I leave it?

Chukwa's mentor list was incorrect.  I updated it.

Regards,
Alan