Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by kowsik <ko...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/25 07:32:10 UTC

CouchDB compaction [again]...

We are running a cluster of 1.0.2 CouchDB's in production
(http://blitz.io) and the one and only thing that we have to look into
periodically is compaction. Are there plans for automatic compaction
in the roadmap so we can completely relax? With the recent work by
@fdmanana and @damienkatz I realize that the db size doesn't grow as
rapidly now as before, what with the snappy compression and what not.
But still this periodic checking in gets in the way of relaxing. Turns
out 1.0.2 has a bug with compaction and _changes where CouchDB can
just go poof and not leave a trace behind. It's been fixed since then,
but still...

While we <3 CouchDB and would like to check on it every now and then,
we'd rather relax and be assured that it's always there in the
background, mapping and reducing and being happy about it. One less
thing to "monitor" and be paged on.

Does anyone else have a write heavy couch cluster that they are
running in production with multi-master replication and _changes?
Would love to exchange notes on what you are doing to keep the DB size
sane.

Thanks,

K.
---
http://blitz.io
http://twitter.com/pcapr
http://blog.mudynamics.com

Re: CouchDB compaction [again]...

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
Our approach has been to do continuous compaction. It means I can relax and
there are no performance surprises (sudden drops when it's time to compact).

https://github.com/fdmanana/couchdb/blob/compaction_daemon/etc/couchdb/default.ini.tpl.in#L189

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.

--
Filipe David Manana,