Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/20 09:27:07 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] XSS vulnerability in default (debian etch installation)?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:47 PM, matti matti <ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I do in firefox try:
> http://hostname/%3CScRipT%20%3Ealert(%27test%27)%3B%3C%2FScRipT%20%3E
>
> I get a popup with the text "test", and a:
>
> Not Found
>
> The requested URL / was not found on this server.
>
> I havent got many modules loaded, and added only virtualhosts. This does not
> work in apache 2.0.x of CentOS 4.6.
> Instead of taking this to debian mailinglist, Im asking here because Im very
> curoius why this works, isnt this a XSS flaw of magnitude, or am I missing
> something?

Hmm. Doesn't work on my Ubuntu installation either.
Can you have a peek at the source of what you get back? It would
appear that for some reasons the < and > brackets haven't been
converted in to html entities (

For example: my erver returns:

was not found on this server.</p>

And thus the browser doesn't see any script tags...

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

Re: [users@httpd] XSS vulnerability in default (debian etch installation)?

Posted by matti matti <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Found</h1><p>The requested URL /<ScRipT >alert('test');</ScRipT > was

The installation is not default, but only mod_jk, AddDefaultCharset and
virtualhosts has been edited.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Krist van Besien <krist.vanbesien@gmail.com