Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matthias Leopold <ma...@leopold.priv.at> on 2016/11/28 09:16:08 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd 2.4.23 stalling

hi,

i'm using a self compiled httpd 2.4.23 with event MPM as a dedicated
HTTPS reverse proxy to several backend services provided by oracle
components. platform for this server is RHEL7 on a POWER7 LPAR.

since a few weeks im having a problem that httpd is "stalling" from time
to time under higher load for a few minutes. during this period no logs
are written, browsers "hang" or give an unspecific ssl connection error
(firefox). the situation resolves by itself without intervention.
"higher load" only refers to apache utilization, common operating system
parameters are fine all the time.

once i had the chance to attach strace to a httpd process, it just
showed "read(". the interesting point in my opinion is that i saw this
process "hanging" even after httpd as a whole started working again. it
stayed in this condition for a long time before dying, it could have
been hours. as i could see from the process list a second child process
was started that apparently resumed the service.

i have no other clues what is happening inside apache as there are no
logs. operating system logs are also unsuspicious. can anyone give me a
hint what to do?

thx
matthias

Re: [users@httpd] httpd 2.4.23 stalling

Posted by Matthias Leopold <ma...@leopold.priv.at>.

Am 29.11.2016 um 02:04 schrieb Frank Gingras:

> On 28/11/16 04:16 AM, Matthias Leopold wrote:
>> hi,
>>

>> i'm using a self compiled httpd 2.4.23 with event MPM as a dedicated
>> HTTPS reverse proxy to several backend services provided by oracle
>> components. platform for this server is RHEL7 on a POWER7 LPAR.
>>
>> since a few weeks im having a problem that httpd is "stalling" from time
>> to time under higher load for a few minutes. during this period no logs
>> are written, browsers "hang" or give an unspecific ssl connection error
>> (firefox). the situation resolves by itself without intervention.
>> "higher load" only refers to apache utilization, common operating system
>> parameters are fine all the time.
>>
>> once i had the chance to attach strace to a httpd process, it just
>> showed "read(". the interesting point in my opinion is that i saw this
>> process "hanging" even after httpd as a whole started working again. it
>> stayed in this condition for a long time before dying, it could have
>> been hours. as i could see from the process list a second child process
>> was started that apparently resumed the service.
>>
>> i have no other clues what is happening inside apache as there are no
>> logs. operating system logs are also unsuspicious. can anyone give me a
>> hint what to do?
>>
>> thx
>> matthias

> Sounds like a lack of entropy at a glance.
>
> Frank.

thanks for your input, but i'm using "builtin" SSLRandomSeed in both
contexts, so i can't imagine the problem stems from there

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.