Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jeff <jd...@azimapower.com> on 2004/10/04 03:08:07 UTC

[users@httpd] ApacheCore.dll errors with SSL (W2k3)

Greetings. We have an application that needs to run on Win2K3. It runs
Apache 1.3.31/PHP 4.3.9 with mod_ssl, from the
http://hunter.campbus.com/ binaries

The server runs perfectly in http mode, but when https is invoked there
are errors that get put in to the Event Log about module failures in
ApacheCore.dll.   If the server stops at this point, it restarts
immediately, the only thing that is noticeable is a server slowdown
after lots of these get thrown into the event log.  There are no errors
in the SSL log or regular error log. (other then mod_ssl and Win 32 are
not officially supported - doh!)

So I guess i have two questions.  Is there anything i can do for the
ApacheCore.dll errors.

Can Apache2 be built on windows in prefork mode so the possible
threading problems of php libs can be mitigated.

Any suggestions other configuration options are appreciated.  We're
pretty limited due to other third party software, but...

Thanks
Jeff

Re: [users@httpd] ApacheCore.dll errors with SSL (W2k3)

Posted by jdyke <jd...@azimapower.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:08:07 -0400, Jeff <jd...@azimapower.com> wrote:
>
>>So I guess i have two questions.  Is there anything i can do for the
>>ApacheCore.dll errors.
>

> You should probably try on the mod_ssl mailing list, since the 1.3
> version is still produced externally.
>

>>Can Apache2 be built on windows in prefork mode so the possible
>>threading problems of php libs can be mitigated.
>

> This reveals a misconception which I am afraid is common.  Apache 1.3
> on windows is threaded, so any statement that you should favor
> php+apache1.3 over php+apache2 on windows because of threading issues
> is completely false.  And to more directly answer your question, no,
> there is no way to use a non-threaded apache on windows in either
> version 1.3 or version 2.0.
>
> Joshua.
I'm so glad i asked then.  This may be a common misconception. It does
give me a reason to explore 2.0 more seriously in this install.

Thanks alot!

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.