Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Alfred von Campe <al...@von-campe.com> on 2013/08/07 16:20:52 UTC

Will fix for issue 4396 be included in the next release (1.8.2)?

I am new to the Subversion lists (I'm not subscribed but monitor the lists' feed) and have not seen any chatter about issue 4396.  This issue is really affecting our development as we cannot easily view diffs and our automated code review mechanism is broken as well.  Most of our major repos user externals in a way that we are affected by this issue.  All the users who have upgraded to 1.8.1 have this problem and can't go back to 1.7.X easily because their sandboxes have been upgraded.

The current STATUS entry for this issue is:

 * r1504192, r1504505
   Make 'svn diff' continue on missing and obstructing files.
   This resolves issue 4396
   Justification:
     Regression since 1.7.
   Votes:
     +1: philip, rhuijben

I don't know how many votes are required for inclusion, but I strongly urge you to vote for this change as it is really affecting our development and in my view is a major regression.

Thanks,
Alfred

P.S.  Is there a target date for the 1.8.2 release?

Re: Will fix for issue 4396 be included in the next release (1.8.2)?

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Alfred von Campe <al...@von-campe.com> wrote:
> Well, there were 5 weeks between 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 so here is hoping
> for 5-6 weeks for 1.8.2 instead of 6-10 weeks.  That would put the
> release at the end of August/beginning of September.  As I mentioned
> in my original email, this regression is negatively affecting our
> development process.

Patch releases typically slow down in the lifetime of a minor release.
 I really don't think 1.8.2 will take 6-10 weeks.  I'd figure more on
the 5-6 week range, possibly sooner.  1.8.1 was delayed by a week due
to internal debate over how to handle the proxy issue.  I'm saying 5-6
weeks here again because simply that would have been the usual
trajectory of slowing down if 1.8.1 hadn't been delayed.

Re: Will fix for issue 4396 be included in the next release (1.8.2)?

Posted by Alfred von Campe <al...@von-campe.com>.
On Aug 7, 2013, at 10:58, Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de> wrote:

> This already has two votes and will probably get a third and be
> included in 1.8.2.

Great, thanks for the quick response.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de>.
Alfred von Campe wrote on Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 10:20:52 -0400:
> I don't know how many votes are required for inclusion, but I strongly
> urge you to vote for this change as it is really affecting our
> development and in my view is a major regression.

Three votes are required.  (See
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing#release-stabilization
for the gory details.)