Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Russ Brucks <Ru...@kfoc.net> on 2003/12/18 20:56:40 UTC

[users@httpd] How does apache determine when to display the content of a web pa ge?

I have an apache server running on SuSE linux which servers up a home grown
PHP/MySQL reporting app.  My app uses a javascript to display a "Query in
progress" <div> while long queries run.  Once the page loaded the script
would hide the "progress" <div> and display the resulting loaded page.

Since migrating my app to a SuSE box it appears the apache server doesn't
deliver the content until ALL processing is complete.  Therefore the user
submits a query and stares at the submit page while the query runs.  Once
all processing is complete, apache then displays the results:  a brief flash
of the "Query in progress" <div> followed by the actual results.

I've done a line by line comparison of the httpd.conf and php.ini files
between the RedHat install (which works as expected) and the SuSE install
(which annoyingly does the above) to no avail.  Is there some compile time
configuration that could be causing this behavior?  I'm really at a loss at
this point.  Any help will greatly be appreciated.

A little more background.  I'm running apache 1.3 on both boxes.  I've tried
it with 1.3 and 2 on the SuSE box with the same results.  Thanks in advance
for any help rendered.

-Russ Brucks

Re: [users@httpd] How does apache determine when to display the content of a web pa ge?

Posted by victor <vi...@outblaze.com>.
It sound like some kind of output buffer has been switched on, I would
guess it's some config in php that does that, so not apache's problem
(unless you turned on mod_proxy and did something fun?).

Tor.

Russ Brucks wrote:

>I have an apache server running on SuSE linux which servers up a home grown
>PHP/MySQL reporting app.  My app uses a javascript to display a "Query in
>progress" <div> while long queries run.  Once the page loaded the script
>would hide the "progress" <div> and display the resulting loaded page.
>
>Since migrating my app to a SuSE box it appears the apache server doesn't
>deliver the content until ALL processing is complete.  Therefore the user
>submits a query and stares at the submit page while the query runs.  Once
>all processing is complete, apache then displays the results:  a brief flash
>of the "Query in progress" <div> followed by the actual results.
>
>I've done a line by line comparison of the httpd.conf and php.ini files
>between the RedHat install (which works as expected) and the SuSE install
>(which annoyingly does the above) to no avail.  Is there some compile time
>configuration that could be causing this behavior?  I'm really at a loss at
>this point.  Any help will greatly be appreciated.
>
>A little more background.  I'm running apache 1.3 on both boxes.  I've tried
>it with 1.3 and 2 on the SuSE box with the same results.  Thanks in advance
>for any help rendered.
>
>-Russ Brucks

<!---------------------------------------------
                           Victor
                           Development Engineer
                           Outblaze Ltd

Re: [users@httpd] handling spaces in URI?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Tom Pepper wrote:
> some *old* code which is still running at large sends requests (lots of
> requests) into our web servers which contain actual spaces in the URI
> GET request.  an example follows.  old versions of apache accepted
> these requests, but some time ago they started replying with 400 bad
> request.

I'm not an expert in this, but I doubt you are going to have any luck
working around this problem on the server side.  According to the HTTP
protocol, the stuff after that space should be the protocol version (ie
HTTP/1.0), and if apache sees a protocol version it doesn't understand, it
isn't going to go further with the request.

(I doubt that any version of apache really processed those correctly.  It
is possible that some versions simply took all the stuff after the space,
threw it away, and assumed HTTP/1.0.)

Joshua.

[users@httpd] handling spaces in URI?

Posted by Tom Pepper <to...@winamp.com>.
All:

some *old* code which is still running at large sends requests (lots of
requests) into our web servers which contain actual spaces in the URI
GET request.  an example follows.  old versions of apache accepted
these requests, but some time ago they started replying with 400 bad
request.  my hope was updating the software which provides these
requests would fix the issue, but few people have actually upgraded.

my hope is that mod_rewrite would be able to parse these sorts of
requests, but i'm uncertain if it applies the error check before or
after mod_rewrite, or how i'd go about constructing a rule which would
appropriately translate non-translated characters.  help?

thanks,
-tom

example logfile lines (note spaces after &irc= arg):

212.43.248.66 - - [18/Dec/2003:15:23:44 -0500] "GET
/addsrv?
v=1&br=24&p=8020&m=200&t=XmoVe%20Radio%20Plus%20Proche%20De%20Vous%20%28
http%3A%2F%2Fxmove%2Dradio%2Elanieu%2Enet%29%20%2D%20Radio%20officielle%
20de%20%23esport%2Dcommunity%20%2D&g=All%20Generation&url=http%3A%2F%2Fx
move%2Dradio%2Elanieu%2Enet&content=audio%2Fmpeg&irc=#xmove-radio (Serv
QuackNet)&icq=0&aim=N/A HTTP/1.0" 400 373 "-" "-"

12.219.227.123 - - [18/Dec/2003:15:23:44 -0500] "GET
/addsrv?
v=1&br=24&p=8000&m=10&t=Brought%20to%20you%20by%20Kayra&g=adult%2C%20Mas
ter%2Cslave%2C%20S%26M&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eshoutcast%2Ecom&content=au
dio%2Fmpeg&irc=Located in IRC on bondage.com
#AlteredReality_Radio&icq=0&aim=N/A HTTP/1.0" 400 373 "-" "-"