Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2010/01/01 21:38:40 UTC

Re: Your mod_rewrite tutorial

On Dec 18, 2009, at 11:26 , Joseph Pecoraro wrote:

>> I was also very fond of http://nettuts.s3.cdn.plus.org/435_htaccess/images/syntax_rewriterule.png
>>  and http://nettuts.s3.cdn.plus.org/435_htaccess/images/syntax_rewritecond.png
>>  andhttp://nettuts.s3.cdn.plus.org/435_htaccess/images/url_full.png
>> and would like to use those too, with your permission.
>
> I would absolutely be willing to donate the images! I also have all
> of the original files (OmniGraffle on Mac OS X), so if you think
> they should be updated, or any wording changed, I'd be happy to
> update them.

I have a requested change to the file syntax_rewritecond.png

It contains the phrase: Regular Expression checked against the "URL
Part" which is similar to REMOTE_URI

I was wondering if you could change that phrase to: Regular Expression
checked against the requested URI, which is the part after "http://hostname
"

Or words to that effect. Yes, it's nit-picky, but the regex is matched
against the URI, not the full URL.

Thanks.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: Your mod_rewrite tutorial

Posted by Joseph Pecoraro <jo...@gmail.com>.
>>> I was also very fond of http://nettuts.s3.cdn.plus.org/435_htaccess/images/syntax_rewriterule.png and http://nettuts.s3.cdn.plus.org/435_htaccess/images/syntax_rewritecond.png andhttp://nettuts.s3.cdn.plus.org/435_htaccess/images/url_full.png and would like to use those too, with your permission.
>>
>> I would absolutely be willing to donate the images! I also have all of the original files (OmniGraffle on Mac OS X), so if you think they should be updated, or any wording changed, I'd be happy to update them.
>
> I have a requested change to the file syntax_rewritecond.png

This was actually syntax_rewriterule.png.

> It contains the phrase: Regular Expression checked against the "URL Part" which is similar to REMOTE_URI
>
> I was wondering if you could change that phrase to: Regular Expression checked against the requested URI, which is the part after "http://hostname"
>
> Or words to that effect. Yes, it's nit-picky, but the regex is matched against the URI, not the full URL.

Sure. Here is what the change produces:
http://grab.by/1tZn

When a particular format is chosen (another email thread) I will
put the updated files in a public location where you can
download them.

In my article, I made up the terminology "URL Part" to simplify
things for readers. I expected that the technical documentation
to be more precise.  Good suggestion.

- Joe