Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by William Pietri <wi...@scissor.com> on 2005/06/22 08:35:54 UTC

newbie question about encoding

Hi! Starting a new web project, I am excited to give Velocity a try. So
far, things have been great: good product, good docs, and everything
just works..

However, there's one thing that I thought could be clearer:
automatically escaping all HTML-sensitive characters in HTML templates.

I eventually found this helpful comment from Will Glass-Husain in the
mailing lists:

    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-velocity-user/200501.mbox/%3c001501c50340$7d92cc50$667ba8c0@Apollo%3e

But it would be better if y'all could mention this very useful trick here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/developer-guide.html#Velocity%20and%20XML

and here:

    http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/BuildingSecureWebApplications#head-f0948c7361707400c48f5613e0ed16a52d3d727e

Both of which give solutions that seem much inferior to the
ReferenceInsertionEventHandler.

I'm busily writing one of these right now. If I produce something worth
sharing, how would I go about passing it along to the right people?

Thanks,

William

Re: newbie question about encoding

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi William,

> However, there's one thing that I thought could be clearer:
> automatically escaping all HTML-sensitive characters in HTML templates.

## snip

> I'm busily writing one of these right now. If I produce something worth
> sharing, how would I go about passing it along to the right people?

The wiki would be a good place to share your stuff.  ;)
  http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/FrontPage

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

--