Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Nathan Maves <Na...@Sun.COM> on 2003/11/12 23:35:29 UTC

DynaAction differences?

What is the difference between these three

DynaActionForm

DynaValidatorForm
DynaValidatorActionForm

I assume that the first does no validation. But I can not find any docs
on how to use the second two.

nathan

Re: DynaAction differences?

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
On 11/12/2003 11:35 PM Nathan Maves wrote:
> What is the difference between these three
>
> DynaActionForm
>
> DynaValidatorForm
> DynaValidatorActionForm
>
> I assume that the first does no validation. But I can not find any docs
> on how to use the second two.

Hi Nathan,
the first allows the developer to write their own validation routines in
the validate() method. The second work within the Validator framework,
which includes validate.xml configuration, to do validation
automatically. The difference between them centers on which validation
configuration the class chooses from the xml file, dependent on the path
or on the form name.

The best place to read up on this is the jakarta struts website. It
really is quite comprehensive and where it is not, there are links to
other resources such as the validator wiki.

Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9

RE: DynaAction differences?

Posted by Robert Taylor <rt...@mulework.com>.
DynaActionForm implements the DynaBean interface and allows you to
declaratively create
action forms in the struts-config file.

DynaValidatorForm is an DynaActionForm which hooks into the struts
validation
framework. The form name is passed to the validation framework to identify
the
validation rules to execute.

DynaValidatorActionForm is an DynaValidatorForm which hooks into the struts
validation
framework. The action path is passed to the validation framework to identify
the
validation rules to execute.

If you look at the source code for each, it will become evident how they
work.

robert