Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Michael Mangus <md...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/26 02:52:27 UTC

Is XServe G5-Apache-Tomcat a good fit for Tapestry deployment?

Hi everyone,

I am still reviewing Howard's book as I learn everything about
Tapestry.  Our ASP 3.0 and some ASP.NET code are in production on a
Dell server running Windows 2003 server.  I have experience with Mac
OS X 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and some Red Hat Linux box's for some PHP/MySQL
applications.  All of my Java experience was a few years back during
my University course work and never really learned the JSP side of
things.  I like Tapestry and so far I think I can pull all my
experience into finally making use of Java and being platform
independent.

My question is what is the right Web Server for hosting Tapestry
applications?  The tapestry application/server will be in a deployment
of about 1,500 internal users.

This will be the first none Windows solution due to management wanting
to move away from MS and IIS dependence and wanting to move towards
Unix running Apache.  I am hoping for some recommendations from many
of you that are currently hosting Tapestry applications.

My initial thinking was our company should purchase an XServe G5:
   1GB Ram, 3x80GB Serial ATA, Hardware RAID PCI, AppleCare Service Parts Kit

Using Apache with Tomcat as the Servlet Container?  Does Tomcat scale
well with Apache or do I need to look at JBOSS or some other solution?
 We would like to use Apache for having the capability of running PHP,
CGI, etc.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Michael

Re: Is XServe G5-Apache-Tomcat a good fit for Tapestry deployment?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Tomcat will scale fine, probably with configuration tweaks to get it
just right.  And you can front that with Apache and mod_jk.

However, I recommend you try plain ol' Jetty standalone, without even
Apache fronting it.  I'm doing that and its working very well.  I'm not
getting heavy load, but Jetty could handle it I'm sure.  You could
front Jetty with Apache too, if you like.

	Erik