Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by todd fahrner <tf...@collab.net> on 2001/05/25 01:37:26 UTC

new user's first impressions and a wish

After working for years with XSSI, I was exposed to WebMacro for the
first time a few weeks ago, and now to Velocity. The first and most
persistent thing I miss about XSSI syntax is that it's wrapped in SGML
comments, while neither WM nor VM are. This militates against the use of
markup-oriented processing tools such as validating parsers, HTML Tidy,
etc., which naturally choke on the naked logic.

I'm tasked with recoding a very large body of vm files to assure that
the output is valid xhtml (specifically
<http://www.collab.net/dtds/collabnet_transitional_10.dtd>), and the
inapplicability of markup-oriented tools to the vm source is slowing
things down considerably. I'm about to cook up pre- and post-processing
scripts to wrap/unwrap the vm in comments, but expect plenty of
whitespace-related "gotchas" ahead. Has anybody done similar?

Was a markup-friendly syntax (comments or straight up xml) considered
during the design phase of Velocity?