Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Alexander Jesse <al...@csfs.com> on 2001/04/27 17:51:58 UTC

Customtag calling a struts tag

Hi,

I try to replace a jsp file which was included into other jsp-files to
provide a common design pattern with a custom tag. Within the
jsp-file I used the struts message tag to do i18n.

Writing the custom tag for the design element was a breeze, BUT...
I do not want to reinvent the message-tag's i18n support. I would like
to call the standard struts-tag to do the job for me. My tag has no body
and the information I need to "convert" using the message tag is
dynamically provided by a session bean, so the standard tag-interaction
mechanism do not work...

For the moment I use a workaround: I copied the struts-java-code into
my custom-tag. Fortunately struts is open-source...

To come to an end: How can I call a tag from within the java-sourcecode
of a custom tag?

All ides welcome

thanx
Alexander Jesse

Re: Customtag calling a struts tag

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@tumbleweed.com>.
Instead of trying to reuse the Struts tag itself, perhaps you could call
RequestUtils.message() from within your tag to get the localized text. This
is what the <bean:message> tag does to get its job done.

--
Martin Cooper