Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Chen, Richard" <ri...@intel.com> on 2014/02/21 04:04:56 UTC

No job shown in Hadoop resource manager web UI when running jobs in the cluster

Dear group,

I compiled hadoop 2.2.0 x64 and running it on a cluster. When I do hadoop job -list or hadoop job -list all, it throws a NPE like this:
14/01/28 17:18:39 INFO Configuration.deprecation: session.id is deprecated. Instead, use dfs.metrics.session-id
14/01/28 17:18:39 INFO jvm.JvmMetrics: Initializing JVM Metrics with processName=JobTracker, sessionId=
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.tools.CLI.listJobs(CLI.java:504)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.tools.CLI.run(CLI.java:312)
    at org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner.run(ToolRunner.java:84)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.main(JobClient.java:1237)
and on hadoop webapp like jobhistory ( I turn on the jobhistory server). It shows no job was running and no job finishing although I was running jobs.
Please help me to solve this problem.
Thanks!!

Richard Chen

Re: No job shown in Hadoop resource manager web UI when running jobs in the cluster

Posted by Richard Chen <cx...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply. Due to company mail filtering issue, I decided to use
my personal mail account so that I can attach files freely in the future.

Please see my reply inline to your questions below.

Richard

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 3:55 AM, Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Not sure how NPE happened on you command line, but I'd like to clarify
> something here:
> 1. If you want to see mapreduce jobs, please use "mapred job". "hadoop
> job" is deprecated. If you want to see all kinds of applications run by
> your YARN cluster, please use "yarn application".
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I do notice that.But the result is the same
though.

> 2. Job history server only shows the finished mapreduce jobs. There will
> be another application history server that shows all completed applications
> run by YARN, but it's not available on 2.2.
>
> 3. ResourceManager webUI is not the job history web UI. You should check
> your yarn-site.xml to see what's the address of the RM webUI. It will list
> all the applications that RM remembers.

RC: RM website address inside yarn-site.xml was corrected put there.

> - Zhijie
>

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Chen, Richard <ri...@intel.com>wrote:
>
>>  Dear group,
>>

>> I compiled hadoop 2.2.0 x64 and running it on a cluster. When I do hadoop
>> job -list or hadoop job -list all, it throws a NPE like this:
>>
>> 14/01/28 17:18:39 INFO Configuration.deprecation: session.id is
>> deprecated. Instead, use dfs.metrics.session-id
>>
>> 14/01/28 17:18:39 INFO jvm.JvmMetrics: Initializing JVM Metrics with
>> processName=JobTracker, sessionId=
>>
>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
>>
>>     at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.tools.CLI.listJobs(CLI.java:504)
>>
>>     at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.tools.CLI.run(CLI.java:312)
>>
>>     at org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner.run(ToolRunner.java:70)
>>
>>     at org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner.run(ToolRunner.java:84)
>>
>>     at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.main(JobClient.java:1237)
>>
>> and on hadoop webapp like jobhistory ( I turn on the jobhistory server).
>> It shows no job was running and no job finishing although I was running
>> jobs.
>>
>> Please help me to solve this problem.
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>

>> Richard Chen
>>

> --
> Zhijie Shen
> Hortonworks Inc.
> http://hortonworks.com/
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Dislike trivia, appreciate no-nonsense!

RE: No job shown in Hadoop resource manager web UI when running jobs in the cluster

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@huawei.com>.

FYI, http://hadoop.apache.org/mailing_lists.html

found the problem was due to missing mapred-site.xml.

After creating it, the problem was gone.

thanks for all the answers.

14/01/28 17:18:39 INFO Configuration.deprecation: session.id<http://session.id> is deprecated. Instead, use dfs.metrics.session-id
[...]

Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to MphasiS, its associated companies and/ or its customers and is intended
for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded
to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly
prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at mailmaster@mphasis.com<ma...@mphasis.com> and delete this mail from your records.

RE: No job shown in Hadoop resource manager web UI when running jobs in the cluster

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@huawei.com>.

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@huawei.com>.

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@huawei.com>.

Posted by Suresh M03 <Su...@mphasis.com>.

prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at mailmaster@mphasis.com and delete this mail from your records.

RE: No job shown in Hadoop resource manager web UI when running jobs in the cluster

Posted by Suresh M03 <Su...@mphasis.com>.

Posted by Suresh M03 <Su...@mphasis.com>.

Posted by Suresh M03 <Su...@mphasis.com>.

Posted by Richard Chen <cx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Chen <cx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Chen <cx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Chen <cx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Chen <cx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Chen <cx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Chen <cx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Chen <cx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Chen <cx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Chen <cx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Chen <cx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Richard,

--
Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: No job shown in Hadoop resource manager web UI when running jobs in the cluster

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Richard,

--
Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: No job shown in Hadoop resource manager web UI when running jobs in the cluster

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Richard,

--
Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: No job shown in Hadoop resource manager web UI when running jobs in the cluster

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Richard,

--
Zhijie Shen