Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/01 06:28:44 UTC

RIA solution based on wicket

Hi guys;

I would like to get your opinions and also share some of my views. I have
been test-driving wicket for a couple of weeks now and i found it quite
impressive. However , i would like to say that IMHO wicket is more suitable
for creating websites as opposed to RIA applications. I would like to make
applications that look and feel like desktop applications but running on a
browser, i have a solid GWT background and i used to make this kind of
applications but alot of work is involved. Should we not have a ria
framework based on wicket? It could just be some nice CSS based theme or an
intergration with something like extJs or something like this. WiQuery is a
great step in this direction but it lacks components for making the main
application layout.

In the meantime, i will be trying out Vaadin.

Regards.

Re: RIA solution based on wicket

Posted by Riyad Kalla <rk...@gmail.com>.
Great idea -- probably just boils down to a time/resource issue more than
anything.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Sure.. This was just a heads up...

Posted by Cemal Bayramoglu <jW...@cabouge.com>.
Ninio,

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cemal Bayramoglu <jW...@cabouge.com>.
Josh,

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Entropy <bl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That looks pretty good.  I too am attempting to build a RIA with ExtJS using
> Wicket as my back-end.  On first look it seems like the two should be a
> great fit as both rely heavily on building a hierarchical tree of
> components.  If I could build a set of custom wicket components to output
> javascript instead of HTML, my java developers could snap components
> together without having to fiddle with the complexity of ExtJS on a regular
> basis.
>
> But I am having a problem in that wicket wants markup for things that I want
> ext to build through javascript methods.  For example, right now I am trying
> to build my menu.  Wicket wants me to use a Link based class or button, but
> I really just want to output some javascript that will create the menu
> toolbar and component and snap them into the viewport.
>
> I am using a JavascriptPackageresource to create a HeaderContributor in the
> top level object, and scanning my child components for my custom components
> to contribute javascript at the right time.  But things like Links, Buttons,
> and other data elements are going to want to contribute HTML.  Further, I
> want to tie an even handler to my menu item, and not generate HTML, but
> still have the link URL the link would have generated.
Assign WebMarkupContainer to a plain <span> (the menu item), then
assign a Behavior to that component and use its
#renderHead(IHeaderResponse) to render any JavaScript you need.
For example ExtPanelBehavior may produce the JS needed to create ExtJS Panel...

> How can I approach this?  Is Wicket maybe not the right webapp framework for
> me?
>

> Martin Grigorov wrote:
>>
>> you could
>> http://wicketstuff.org/grid-examples/data-grid/editable
>>
>> On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 15:16 +0300, Josh Kamau wrote:
>>> Hi Ernesto
>>>
>>> This is RIA enough. I wish i could do such with Wicket.
>>>
>>> http://www.extjs.com/examples/#roweditorgrid
>>>
>>> regards

>>> suitable

Martin Grigorov