Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by svnuser <jz...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/23 17:45:16 UTC

1.5 build problem on montavista cygwin

I am using montavista cygwin 4.0 and I tried to compile subversion 1.5 in it.

make
[...]
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/serf'
/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/apr/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc -g
-O2 -DCYGWIN -I. -I/home/jzan/sv/subversion-1.5.0/apr/include
-I/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/apr-util/include  -c -o
buckets/aggregate_bucketslo buckets/aggregate_buckets.c && touch
buckets/aggregate_buckets.lo
/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/apr/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc -g
-O2 -DCYGWIN -I. -I/home/jzan/sv/subversion-1.5.0/apr/include
-I/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/apr-util/include  -c -o
buckets/request_buckets.l buckets/request_buckets.c && touch
buckets/request_buckets.lo
/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/apr/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc -g
-O2 -DCYGWIN -I. -I/home/jzan/sv/subversion-1.5.0/apr/include
-I/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/apr-util/include  -c -o context.lo
context.c && t
uch context.lo
context.c:137: error: size of array `vec' is too large
make[1]: *** [context.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/serf'
make: *** [external-all] Error 1

So I did a bit of poking around and I found:
#define IOV_MAX (__INT_MAX__-1)
which is
$ grep __INT_MAX__  /usr/include/limits.h
#ifndef __INT_MAX__
#define __INT_MAX__ 2147483647
#define INT_MAX __INT_MAX__
#define IOV_MAX (__INT_MAX__-1)

So I can compile only if I set IOV_MAX to __INT_MAX__/4 but I don't know if
that is ok with the vec array.

Any ideas to what value I can safely set IOV_MAX as a hack? (and I can't
replace my montavista cygwin)

Cheers
J.

Re: 1.5 build problem on montavista cygwin

Posted by svnuser <jz...@gmail.com>.

Additional info about montavista cygwin:

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 NODENAME 1.3.22(0.80/4/3) 2006-07-05 17:38 i686 unknown
unknown Cygwin

Re: 1.5 build problem on montavista cygwin

Posted by svnuser <jz...@gmail.com>.

No matter which cygwin I use (Montavista's or the original cygwin) I can
only build svn 1.5
if I use these switches:
./configure --without-serf --disable-shared

Posted by Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Senthil Kumaran S <se...@collab.net>.
Blair Zajac wrote:

>>> --without-serf should be the magic command.  Note: I haven't actually
>>> tried, but that's how most of the configure options work.
>>
>> There is no '--without-serf' option in subversion configure script,
>> the only way now is to not show the serf path to the configure script.
>
> We should add that, it's standard that you can disable an option with
> the --without variant.

It is possible to pass '--without-PACKAGE' to subversion configure script and
it works as intended. I missed it, sorry for the noise. I got confused with the
output in config.log, for example if we say '--without-neon', the configure
script says something like this:

<snip>
configure: checking neon library

An appropriate version of neon could not be found, so libsvn_ra_neon
will not be built.  If you want to build libsvn_ra_neon, please either
install neon 0.28.1 on this system

or

get neon 0.28.1 from:
     http://www.webdav.org/neon/neon-0.28.1.tar.gz
unpack the archive using tar/gunzip and rename the resulting
directory from ./neon-0.28.1/ to ./neon/

no suitable neon found
</snip>

Which is the same output returned when we did not have neon installed in the
box. May be something like this would help

<snip>
configure: checking neon library

configure without neon
</snip>

Similar thing happens for serf also.
<snip>
configure: serf library configuration
checking serf.h usability... no
checking serf.h presence... no
checking for serf.h... no
</snip>

Here something like this would be better
<snip>
configure: serf library configuration

configure without serf
</snip>

Thank You.

--
Senthil Kumaran S
http://www.stylesen.org/

Re: 1.5 build problem on montavista cygwin

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Senthil Kumaran S wrote:
> John Szakmeister wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 5:03 PM, svnuser <jz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks Peter.
>>>
>>> Well, after the IOV_MAX problem hacked I run into more problems:
>>> [cut]
>>> ------ making all in serf
>>> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/serf'
>>> /home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/apr/libtool --silent --mode=compile
>>> gcc -g
>>> -O2 -DCYGWIN -I. -I/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/apr/include
>>> -I/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/apr-util/include  -c -o
>>> test/serf_spider.lo test/s
>>> erf_spider.c && touch test/serf_spider.lo
>>> test/serf_spider.c:36:2: #error serf spider needs threads.
>>> [cut]
>>>
>>> Is there a way to build subversion 1.5 without serf? I looked at
>>> ./configure
>>> but nothing jumps out.
>>
>> --without-serf should be the magic command.  Note: I haven't actually
>> tried, but that's how most of the configure options work.
>
> There is no '--without-serf' option in subversion configure script, the
> only way now is to not show the serf path to the configure script.

We should add that, it's standard that you can disable an option with the
--without variant.

Regards,
Blair

Re: 1.5 build problem on montavista cygwin

Posted by Senthil Kumaran S <se...@collab.net>.

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 5:03 PM, svnuser <jz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Peter.
>
> Well, after the IOV_MAX problem hacked I run into more problems:
> [cut]
> ------ making all in serf
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/serf'
> /home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/apr/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc -g
> -O2 -DCYGWIN -I. -I/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/apr/include
> -I/home/jzan/svn/subversion-1.5.0/apr-util/include  -c -o
> test/serf_spider.lo test/s
> erf_spider.c && touch test/serf_spider.lo
> test/serf_spider.c:36:2: #error serf spider needs threads.
> [cut]
>
> Is there a way to build subversion 1.5 without serf? I looked at ./configure
> but nothing jumps out.

--without-serf should be the magic command.  Note: I haven't actually
tried, but that's how most of the configure options work.

-John

Re: 1.5 build problem on montavista cygwin

Posted by Senthil Kumaran S <se...@collab.net>.
svnuser wrote:
> Is there a way to build subversion 1.5 without serf? I looked at ./configure
> but nothing jumps out.

Yes this possible. Assuming you are using the subversion-deps, if you have
extracted the deps package inside the subversion source directory, just remove
the folder for serf, which will not build serf for you.

hth.
--
Senthil Kumaran S
http://www.stylesen.org/

Re: 1.5 build problem on montavista cygwin

Posted by Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>.
This is a serf question, not a Subversion question, but anyway -

> context.c:137: error: size of array `vec' is too large
> make[1]: *** [context.lo] Error 1
>
> So I did a bit of poking around and I found:
> #define IOV_MAX (__INT_MAX__-1)

Oh my lord.  No, you do not want an 8 GB data structure.  I see
context.c arranges to set it to 16 if nobody else has set it, and that
seems reasonable to me.  glibc stdio on Linux seems to want 1024 as a
default.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/