Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Christian Heller <ch...@tuxtax.de> on 2007/02/13 18:24:47 UTC

CYBOP Book

Dear Excalibur and former Avalon Developers,

some years ago, I started coding on the http://www.resmedicinae.org
open source project, at that time in Java.
I investigated software patterns and also found Apache-Jakarta-Avalon,
whose ideas I implemented as good as possible. The lifecycle idea
helped me a lot to receive clean source code.
I then found out that using interfaces often caused overlapping or
redundant interfaces when inheriting classes.
This is how I decided to ban interfaces at all and stick with pure
class hierarchies. It was the idea of ontological structures
(pure hierarchy of objects grouped into layers/ levels by their
granularity, with only unidirectional relations between layers)
that helped me here.
I also struggled with the number of parameters to hand over to a
lifecycle interface in Component Oriented Programming (COP).
So I thought a lot about nature, cell separation, DNA etc. and this
is how I got the idea to keep just *one* "Configuration" object serving
as knowledge tree (comparable to the DNA which is forwarded from cell
to cell) and hand it over to all procedures. And so on and so on ...

After five years I now managed to put all ideas into a book, which
I would like to announce to the developers of this list, because
I was greatly influenced by the ideas of Avalon. Here is the book:

http://cybop.berlios.de/books/cybop/index.html

It is published under the GNU FDL license.

I have signed this list some days ago and will stay here for some more
weeks, in case somebody wants to discuss the CYBOP ideas, COP, IoC etc.

Thanks,
Christian Heller

Re: CYBOP Book

Posted by Christian Heller <ch...@tuxtax.de>.
Hi Jaaron,

> > After five years I now managed to put all ideas into a book, which
> > I would like to announce to the developers of this list, because
> > I was greatly influenced by the ideas of Avalon. Here is the book:
> >
> > http://cybop.berlios.de/books/cybop/index.html
>
> Thanks Christian!
>
> I'm afraid the Excalibur community is pretty sleepy these days so you
> might not find much of a conversation.  But I've downloaded the book
> and will try to read through some of it (free time being what it is
> these days).  I was always interested in cybernetics, so I'm curious
> in your thesis.

Thanks and I am always happy about feedback!
But improving the book in a second edition depends on time, too.

I know that the book is not perfect. The supervisors criticised its
length. So just skip the sections which are too philosophical to you.

You won't find much about classical "Cybernetics" (as in Automation
Engineering) in it. But I've used the term because I tried to apply
ideas of biology and other sciences to informatics.

Regards,
Christian

Re: CYBOP Book

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.

--
  jaaron

Re: CYBOP Book

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Feb 15, 2007, at 12:01 AM, Christian Heller wrote:
>> Heh. Interesting. PeterD did something not unlike what we called
>> "Avalon5" for a while, which had a piece to it called DNA.
>> Coincidence? :-)
>
> Obviously. Can you point me to some documentation or the source code?
> I am always keen on collecting new ideas. When did he do it?

http://dna.codehaus.org/

"DNA's Not Avalon" :)

-pete

Re: CYBOP Book

Posted by Christian Heller <ch...@tuxtax.de>.
Hi Leo,

thanks for your feedback!

> Heh. Interesting. PeterD did something not unlike what we called
> "Avalon5" for a while, which had a piece to it called DNA.
> Coincidence? :-)

Obviously. Can you point me to some documentation or the source code?
I am always keen on collecting new ideas. When did he do it?

I have done my first coding trials with "Configuration.java" classes
representing something like a DNA in 2002. I do not have the time to
search through the whole old code, that was restructured often, but
here is just one link:
http://resmedicinae.cvs.sourceforge.net/resmedicinae/src/resmedlib/org/resmedicinae/resmedlib/application/configuration/Configuration.java?hideattic=0&view=log

The first presentation I gave in 2002 as well:
http://cybop.berlios.de/presentations/2002_oshca/html/slide_52.html

Note that at the beginning there was only "Res Medicinae", then I
factored out general stuff into the "ResMedLib", which later became
the independent "CYBOP" project.

> > I have signed this list some days ago and will stay here for some more
> > weeks, in case somebody wants to discuss the CYBOP ideas, COP, IoC
> > etc.
>
> I wish I had the time! :-)

It would be nice to find someone to finance our ideas/ research/ work ...

> These days, when I talk about "metadata", it tends to be about RDF
> and not so much about custom-parsed-javadoc hints to container
> software...which is quite a different world (graphs, or rather a
> "really big graph", instead of trees and containers)
>
> best regards and good luck marrying paradigms!

I have (in short) compared CYBOL to RDF and OWL. See pages 301-305:
http://cybop.berlios.de/books/cybop/index.html
http://cybop.berlios.de/books/cybop/cybop.pdf

Regards,
Christian

Re: CYBOP Book

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Feb 13, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Christian Heller wrote:
> Dear Excalibur and former Avalon Developers,

Hey Christian,

> some years ago, I started coding on the http://www.resmedicinae.org
> open source project, at that time in Java.
> I investigated software patterns and also found Apache-Jakarta-Avalon,
> whose ideas I implemented as good as possible. The lifecycle idea
> helped me a lot to receive clean source code.
> I then found out that using interfaces often caused overlapping or
> redundant interfaces when inheriting classes.
> This is how I decided to ban interfaces at all and stick with pure
> class hierarchies. It was the idea of ontological structures
> (pure hierarchy of objects grouped into layers/ levels by their
> granularity, with only unidirectional relations between layers)
> that helped me here.
> I also struggled with the number of parameters to hand over to a
> lifecycle interface in Component Oriented Programming (COP).
> So I thought a lot about nature, cell separation, DNA etc. and this
> is how I got the idea to keep just *one* "Configuration" object
> serving
> as knowledge tree (comparable to the DNA which is forwarded from cell
> to cell) and hand it over to all procedures. And so on and so on ...

Heh. Interesting. PeterD did something not unlike what we called
"Avalon5" for a while, which had a piece to it called DNA.
Coincidence? :-)

> After five years I now managed to put all ideas into a book, which
> I would like to announce to the developers of this list, because
> I was greatly influenced by the ideas of Avalon. Here is the book:
>
> http://cybop.berlios.de/books/cybop/index.html
>
> It is published under the GNU FDL license.

Congratulations on getting a book out...I've never done it but from
what I hear it is usually *tons* of work.

> I have signed this list some days ago and will stay here for some more
> weeks, in case somebody wants to discuss the CYBOP ideas, COP, IoC
> etc.

I wish I had the time! :-)

These days, when I talk about "metadata", it tends to be about RDF
and not so much about custom-parsed-javadoc hints to container
software...which is quite a different world (graphs, or rather a
"really big graph", instead of trees and containers)

best regards and good luck marrying paradigms!

/LSD