Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2007/02/12 06:37:53 UTC

More control over what WARNING messages are displayed

It would really be nice if there was more control over what WARNING
messages that Maven spits out by default.  When building off of a
clean repo, a bunch of '[WARNING] Unable to get resource ...'
messages litter the console output... which really makes it hard to
see what is actually going on.

I'd like mvn to not show those by default, and have a flag to enable
them if needed... kinda like the -W flag on gcc.

IMO these WARNING messages are only useful about 5% of the time when
strange dependency problems pop up... it would be better IMO if for
the remaining 95% that mvn didn't complain so much about stuff that
is not really a problem.

--jason

Re: More control over what WARNING messages are displayed

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
My builds produce more than 1mo of logs, and like Jason, I used seldom
the warn msg. Thus, I am in favor of the -W flag.

Cheers,

Vincent

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 14 Feb 07, at 4:41 AM 14 Feb 07, Barrie Treloar wrote:

>> There is no config file, we set the threshold programmatically. New
>> logger stuff in plexus will allow more domain like logging
>> configuration. But not in 2.0.x.
>
> What logging system is used? Java Logging, Log4J, Apache?
> (I haven't got around to looking at the code yet)

It's pluggable, but we just use a console logger now which avoids all
the frameworks but we are going to make a base logging implementation
(using our interfaces) using slf4j which does a good job of marrying
all the frameworks together. That should take care of the commons-
logging mess.

> Is there a way to specify the log format string?

That we've exposed in Maven, no.

> It would be handy to have the context in the output for development
> purposes so you can track down the class and module that is outputting
> the log.  I might add this to the JIRA issue.

There are probably issues that exist and we definitely have them
plexus. Joakim was interested in doing the slf4j implemenation in
Plexus so you might want to chat with him.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
+1 I am in favor of that too (see my previous comment).

Stéphane

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I put some comments with examples of WARNING messages in this JIRA I
just created:

     http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2823

--jason

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Feb 13, 2007, at 5:51 PM, Barrie Treloar wrote:

> On 2/14/07, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
>> Any comments from the Maven developers on this one?
>>
>> I really think all these WARNING messages are more harmful than
>> useful... running a build thats all I see when I glance at the
>> console.  They really make it much more harder than really needed to
>> _see_ what is really going on.
>>
>> That, and if you need to add a few more repos to pick up artifacts,
>> the output of mvn due to all of these WARNING messages increases
>> significantly.  Logs end up as 80% WARNING, 20% actual build related
>> output.
>
> I think it would be nice to do this for all the reasons you have
> listed.
>
> Is there a JIRA issue created for it yet?

Not sure if one was created yet, need to look...

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Feb 13, 2007, at 5:51 PM, Barrie Treloar wrote:

> On 2/14/07, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
>> Any comments from the Maven developers on this one?
>>
>> I really think all these WARNING messages are more harmful than
>> useful... running a build thats all I see when I glance at the
>> console.  They really make it much more harder than really needed to
>> _see_ what is really going on.
>>
>> That, and if you need to add a few more repos to pick up artifacts,
>> the output of mvn due to all of these WARNING messages increases
>> significantly.  Logs end up as 80% WARNING, 20% actual build related
>> output.
>
> I think it would be nice to do this for all the reasons you have
> listed.
>
> Is there a JIRA issue created for it yet?

Added new JIRA here:

     http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2823

Only found one other that looked close, MNG-2648, and I linked it to

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.