Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by sandeep krishnamurthy <sa...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/15 20:28:43 UTC

Call for contributions - Apache MXNet backend for Keras2

Hello Community,

I am working on adding Apache MXNet backend for Keras2. Jiajie Chen, MXNet
contributor, was actively involved and has contributed many operators and
functionalities. Thanks to early contributors for Keras1.2 which we have
extended in this work.

I hereby request for Apache MXNet community to engage, contribute and early
testing the in-progress work.

*Current State:*

You can train a Keras MLP and CNNs on CPU, GPU, multi-GPU using MXNet as
backend. However, a lot of functionalities to add (see next section).

Here is a quick install guide to try it out -
https://github.com/deep-learning-tools/keras/wiki/Installation-Guide---Keras-with-MXNet-backend

*Planned Next Steps:*

   - Create PR with keras-team/keras Github repo and submit the Apache
   MXNet backend contributions. I am working fixing couple of operators and
   broken keras test to create PR. Hopefully, in 2 weeks, the first PR with
   MLP and CNN support will be created.

*Call for contributions:*

There are many upcoming pending works and I request the community to engage
and contribute. At a high level, following are the features we need to work
on:

   - Enable multi-machine distributed training for Keras with MXNet backend.

   - Support RNNs for Keras with MXNet backend.
   - Support for  Sparse Tensors for Keras with MXNet backend.
   - Other operators.
   - Try and provide your feedback or open Github issues.

*Links:*

I have created Github issues listing known issues, TODOs and more, in the
work in progress repo

   - MXNet backend Work in progress repository -
   https://github.com/deep-learning-tools/keras/tree/keras2_mxnet_backend
   - https://github.com/deep-learning-tools/keras/issues
   - MXNet Tracking Issue -
   https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/8941
   - Keras Tracking Issue - https://github.com/keras-team/keras/issues/8697

Best Regards,

Sandeep Krishnamurthy

Re: Call for contributions - Apache MXNet backend for Keras2

Posted by sandeep krishnamurthy <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Community,

I have created the first PR with keras-team/keras (
https://github.com/keras-team/keras/pull/9291), adding support for Apache
MXNet backend. In this PR, MXNet backend supports CNN use cases on CPU, 1
GPU, Multi-GPU. This is first of many incremental PRs to fully support
Keras with MXNet backend.

Many thanks to all the contributors for this work: @jiajiechen
<https://github.com/jiajiechen> and contributors of Keras1.2 + MXNet work -
@piiswrong <https://github.com/piiswrong>, @kevinthesun
<https://github.com/kevinthesun>, @howardsu <https://github.com/howardsu>,
@yajiedesign <https://github.com/yajiedesign>

I welcome the community to participate in code review, contribution to
remaining functionality, try it out and log any issues or success stories.

You can track upcoming planned work here in GitHub issues -
https://github.com/deep-learning-tools/keras/issues

Best

--
Sandeep Krishnamurthy