Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si> on 2012/11/15 12:54:40 UTC

Whitelabeling: Notifications (Was: Re: White-labeling and "detracifying")

On 8 November 2012 21:53, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/6/12, Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> :)
>
> > I would need to add some white-labeling support to Bloodhound. At the
> same
> > time I would also use the feature to change or remove some of the Trac
> > references throughout the application. The credits to the Trac and
> relation
> > description between Bloodhound and Trac needs to stay but there are
> > numerous points where Trac references serve no real purpose but to
> > potentially confuse new users. So this is I plan of what I intend to do
> or
> > is at least worth discussing:
> >
> > 1. Add ability to rename Bloodhound label in ui by changing configuration
> > file (white-labeling equivalent of i18n file) This same configuration
> would
> > be used for replacing Trac references where we would see fit. Personally
> > would only leave the reference to Trac in Apps/About Bloodhound
> >

> Why not just sections in trac.ini itself rather than a separate file ?
> Having many config files/sources will make things a bit difficult ...
> afaics . In the end there should always a way to make such configs fit
> into INI file structure .
>
> > 2. Use the configuration for labeling in generated content (email
> > notifications) configurable
> >

> What are the options available now to get similar things done ?

So, thinking about this again and looking into the Trac notification
configuration there is not much added value to bring in whitelabaling for
this.

The only thing that could be done is to replace the Trac mail headers with
BH (whitelabeld) ones, but this
would again change the Trac code in a way that we will not be able to push
back to Trac project.

I will open a Ticket so we do not forget about it, but would only consider
executing it if (when) we start treating Trac code with patches instead of
full source repo with manual merging.

Re: Whitelabeling: Notifications (Was: Re: White-labeling and "detracifying")

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 3:54 AM, Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si> wrote:

> [...]
> > > 2. Use the configuration for labeling in generated content (email
> > > notifications) configurable
> > >

> > What are the options available now to get similar things done ?
> >

> So, thinking about this again and looking into the Trac notification
> configuration there is not much added value to bring in whitelabaling for
> this.
>
> The only thing that could be done is to replace the Trac mail headers with
> BH (whitelabeld) ones, but this
> would again change the Trac code in a way that we will not be able to push
> back to Trac project.
>
> I will open a Ticket so we do not forget about it, but would only consider
> executing it if (when) we start treating Trac code with patches instead of
> full source repo with manual merging.

The other possibility is to try to add the whitelabeling support you need
to the AnnouncerPlugin (1), which I've been involved in developing and
could help with. There is a long standing proposal to integrate
AnnouncerPlugin into the Trac core, which has led to almost no movement on
further developing the Trac notification system, and patches such as the
one I tried to push earlier this week (2) typically don't get integrated.
However, discussion on integrating the AnnouncerPlugin has picked up again
(3), so it may get integrated to the Trac core in an upcoming release, and
it may be easier to get the whitelabeling support added before integration.

That said, I don't really understand how Trac or the AnnouncerPlugin would
need to be changed to support whitelabeling, so some specifics might help
me with that.

(1) http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/AnnouncerPlugin
(2) http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/2311
(3)
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/trac-users/zx2CeI4bJ40

Re: Whitelabeling: Notifications (Was: Re: White-labeling and "detracifying")

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.

Opened as: https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/261